Wild Ain't She Gorgeous.

It's a lovely shot with the colours complimenting each other throughout ... faster shutter speed for a nice sharp shot hasn't caused any ISO problems for me. :)

Any cute girl will be scrapped by a poor rendition
and yours is great… I realise just now how long
the tail feathers really are! :cool:

Last edited:
Another lovely shot Dale (y)

“Cracking” shot Sir, nuff said.(y)

George.

It's a lovely shot with the colours complimenting each other throughout ... faster shutter speed for a nice sharp shot hasn't caused any ISO problems for me. :)

Yep, gorgeous :)

Any cute girl will be scrapped by a poor rendition
and your is great… I realise just now how long
the tail feathers really are! :cool:

thanks all. (y)

Another lovely shot Dale (y)

applied some of the Nik noise reduction on the background Phil, works a treat.

“Cracking” shot Sir, nuff said.(y)

George.

thanks George.

I like this frame Dale, shows more of the bird, and the perch doesn't dominate as much. The 5d4 won't even break sweat at ISO 2000, especially if you dont crop too much, so I'd much rather use this ISO to get a shutter speed capable of giving me a really sharp file to work with

Mike

I like this frame Dale, shows more of the bird, and the perch doesn't dominate as much. The 5d4 won't even break sweat at ISO 2000, especially if you dont crop too much, so I'd much rather use this ISO to get a shutter speed capable of giving me a really sharp file to work with

Mike

Mike/Dale can I ask a Q ,sort of on your behalf Dale. Mikey me old mate what techs for this image please,where would you go?????? Dale I shoot high iso for a pastime you've seen that,I've been taught to push iso for SS for sharps,Mike is part of that, I ask about techs alot anyway mate,but I feel your camera can go maybe further than you realise,providing exp is on the money and probably not much cropping.

Sorry for butting in lads!! Dale what's running through my mind here beyond picking Mike's brains:D is you want to be covered for take off. Now although I've said iso for SS (and bless 'im Roger did ) there is also the matter of DOF especially when these wings get spread and she's moving, wider dof = more chance of sharp focus on the eye... it's the law;) So I'd have probably stopped down slightly and upped SS,but I'm me mate.leaning Roger and Mike know where they would go,but rog shoot nik................... just curious if there is more for ya out of that camera mate????

Dale having the tail fanned really works love it mate really do stonker of an image !!:cool:

stu

Mike/Dale can I ask a Q ,sort of on your behalf Dale. Mikey me old mate what techs for this image please,where would you go?????? Dale I shoot high iso for a pastime you've seen that,I've been taught to push iso for SS for sharps,Mike is part of that, I ask about techs alot anyway mate,but I feel your camera can go maybe further than you realise,providing exp is on the money and probably not much cropping.

Sorry for butting in lads!! Dale what's running through my mind here beyond picking Mike's brains:D is you want to be covered for take off. Now although I've said iso for SS (and bless 'im Roger did ) there is also the matter of DOF especially when these wings get spread and she's moving, wider dof = more chance of sharp focus on the eye... it's the law;) So I'd have probably stopped down slightly and upped SS,but I'm me mate.leaning Roger and Mike know where they would go,but rog shoot nik................... just curious if there is more for ya out of that camera mate????

Dale having the tail fanned really works love it mate really do stonker of an image !!:cool:

stu

Ay up Stu ( and sorry for the hijack Dale!)

I think I'd have been pretty much with what Dale shot in this position. You know me - I'm a big fan of pushing the ISO when necessary to get the sharpest file I can, and modern full frame camera don't break sweat at ISO 3200 , especially with only minimal cropping.

Here, I'd have been thinking about incoming and take off shots as well, and possibly even gone a tad higher than 1/2000th. I'd have hoped the bird settled, and if she did I might have traded some SS for DoF, but to be honest, I think the DoF is fine here - sharp head, so personally I don't mind if the DoF fades a little. Some people much [refer the whole bird to be sharp so its a personal thing.

I think Dale has said he only had 40 secs or so to shoot here, so having the SS high means he had a great chance to get sharp files, so get these done first, then start to experiment is my way of working.

In short - get the file sharp, then use PP skills to worry about noise reduction later.

Regarding max ISO for that camera - it can go quite a bit further, but it takes a little while to get your head round certain numbers !

Mike

Superb stuff, Dale (y)

On my monitor, there is a sharpening halo from under the beak to the chest but it's minimal. Wondering if it's my monitor as it feels that I'm the only one to point these things out sometimes lol. Is it on yours too? Possibly no-one else will see it, but interested if they can? (y)

Superb stuff, Dale (y)

On my monitor, there is a sharpening halo from under the beak to the chest but it's minimal. Wondering if it's my monitor as it feels that I'm the only one to point these things out sometimes lol. Is it on yours too? Possibly no-one else will see it, but interested if they can? (y)

Crepuscular light ;)

Last edited:
Hi guys, sorry for the slow response, been a long couple of days.

Anyhoo, hijack is fine, not a problem, good to see people ready to help each other out. (y)

I have a huge problem in my head, pushing iso is very alien to me, a legacy of owning a 7D prior to my 5D. 7D is great camera but it struggled even in half decent light and I rarely went above iso 400 with it. I'm trying to get my head in different place now regarding iso on the 5D, I'm happy at 800 as a base but I still struggle (in my head) going anything above 1600. I know the 5D will murder the 7D in that respect, but I just have to convince myself of it. :thinking:

I use a 100-400L as my primary wildlife lens, which is 5.6 at 400mm. I'd like a bit more DOF at times to mash the background more but also, to help with shutter speeds. The 100-400 on the 5D is an awesome combo though, probably the best I've used.

Yip, 10 hours in the hide and I saw the sparrowhawk for 40 seconds. The light varied throughout the day but I went for some base settings as I knew it might be a short visit by her, if at all. I rattled a few off in that time before a kestrel came in and mobbed her. I didn't get that shot, but I will.

I don't see a sharpening halo but maybe it's not showing on my monitor, I will check for that though. I didn't add that much sharpening, just a tad in LR, slider was at 20 I think.

Thanks for the input all, much appreciated, great to see people getting helped out.

Thanks for the input all, much appreciated, great to see people getting helped out.

That is, after all, what this forum is about (y)

Too many "nice shot" and "great shot" comments the last few months. A great way to up your post count but doesn't help a lot in the improvement of photography :)

Back