North England Aircraft Carrier in Liverpool.

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, im after some good points to shoot the carrier externally this Sunday. Im initially thinking across the Mersey to get Liverpool as a backdrop and the light in the afternoon. Could anyone point me into somewhere that would be a good and safe place to shoot from, maybe also somewhere high in Liverpool that would be accessible too if possible.

cheers in advance
Ben

Best shots from up the Wirral will be from between the Woodside Ferry in Birkenhead and Seacombe Promenade.

For info the Navy have just confirmed that HMS Prince of Wales will enter the Mersey at 12.30hrs tomorrow (Fri 28th), do a 180º turn around about 13.30hrs and dock at the Liverpool Cruise Terminal at 14.00hrs facing down river.

GC

Hmm, I wonder if I should pop down. Place will be heaving, and might be tricky parking.

Best shots from up the Wirral will be from between the Woodside Ferry in Birkenhead and Seacombe Promenade.

For info the Navy have just confirmed that HMS Prince of Wales will enter the Mersey at 12.30hrs tomorrow (Fri 28th), do a 180º turn around about 13.30hrs and dock at the Liverpool Cruise Terminal at 14.00hrs facing down river.

GC

in your experience, are they normally punctual like the Air Force? Do they need to go up river for the 180? Sorry I’m a complete novice at all things maritime.

Last edited:
in your experience, are they normally punctual like the Air Force? Do they need to go up river for the 180? Sorry I’m a complete novice at all things maritime.

High water is 14.02hrs and they'll be making full advantage of the incoming tide. Would guess the turn will be slightly up river from the Cruise Terminal, possibly abeam the Cammell Laird slip way.

GC

High water is 14.02hrs and they'll be making full advantage of the incoming tide. Would guess the turn will be slightly up river from the Cruise Terminal, possibly abeam the Cammell Laird slip way.

GC
Many thanks. Last question. If I’m on the Wirral side, will a 70-200 do it or am I looking at 150-600mm? I have absolutely no idea about the distance or scale. :)

Pity it can't be spotted from Otterspool Promenade, loads of parking there.

I’ll kill myself laughing if you reply with 14-24 !!!!!

Be impressed if she was that close!

Not too sure to be honest, I'm taking the 70-200mm, 300mm and 1.4TC just to make sure!

GC

Perch Rock on it's way in and then Seacombe to Woodside ferry later.

Viewing cruises all day Saturday and Sunday will be resonable price

All those high rise monstrosity's must have high up bars/balconies being so close to a waterfront?

Any days forecast with decent early evening weather next week? Maybe go over then so it's not crawling with with shellsuits.

Edit

Where to see the floating helipad if you don't have a ticket (doesn't really give much info):
https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/hms-prince-wales-best-places-17801895

Confirmation of arrival time and turn around:
https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/hms-prince-wales-liverpool-arrival-17824572

Road closures:
https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/hms-prince-wales-road-closures-17823483

Last edited:
Anyone in Liverpool that can give me a weather update please? It’s gloomy as anything here and the forecast is for rain and low cloud. I’m not going to bother going to see a big grey boat behind a grey sky sat on a grey sea with the top bits of it hidden by cloud. :)

Anyone in Liverpool that can give me a weather update please? It’s gloomy as anything here and the forecast is for rain and low cloud. I’m not going to bother going to see a big grey boat behind a grey sky sat on a grey sea with the top bits of it hidden by cloud. :)

The Weather Report says Sunday morning is nice. But that can all change, as quickly as the..

I was half thinking to go, but I know what it can be like, when there is something on. Yes all the buzz and excitement can be nice, but parking and dodging the masses can be a pain.

Bright grey sky, light breeze, steady cold rain currently according to a friend who works in Burk'n'head.

I was half thinking to go, but I know what it can be like, when there is something on. Yes all the buzz and excitement can be nice, but parking and dodging the masses can be a pain.

How about you pick up one of my cameras and get some photos for me Jon. Doesn't look nice out (does it ever in Wallyton?).

Last edited:
Bright grey sky, light breeze, steady cold rain currently according to a friend who works in Burk'n'head.

How about you pick up one of my cameras and get some photos for me Jon. Doesn't look nice out (does it ever in Wallyton?).

Now the other side of Runcorn bridge, the bridge is more or less the bottom of our street. Can be in the City Centre in ten minutes. Trouble is, I think it will be heaving on Sunday, I don't do crowds.

Not a fan of crowds myself and that's another part of the reason I was thinking of heading over there next week. I would have liked to have seen it under way past Perch Rock (on the way out would be better for that but getting both sides would be good). Plenty more opportunities to get photos of it (and maybe the UK will have something other than egg beaters to use it by then) and with two real aircraft carriers due into UK waters I might see if I can get more photos of those.

Is HMS BigEars using AIS? Should be pootling along the coast now with a pilot (don't be silly, marine pilot not flying type) onboard.
The wildcats that were at Shawbury and due to join it at Liverfool to make it look pretty went into Valley a short while ago rather than routing to the floaty helipad.

Not due for a good while but will pass here:

https://www.wirralcam.org/wirralcam2016/domen.shtml

...and to answer my own question, it's AIS is off

Earlier a question about focal lengths which I meant to answer. From Perch Rock looking across towards the docks you'd need LESS than 100mm for full frame image. More than that and you'll not get the whole ship.
That's not an exact number but from memory.

Example better than words so just scoured some old images for something to illustrate.
Passing the time waiting for the tide, snapshot of ship going up the Murky. 120mm on full frame. I was standing on the inland side of Perch Rock lighthouse. The helipad is half the length again

120mmFF.jpg

When the helicopter platform is moored at the cruise terminal a similar FL would be OK across the full width of the Murky.

Last edited:
Looking forward to seeing it...

Nice one @morfis I have cancelled my plans to travel as this weather is awful.

Not looking good over the weekend either.

Visible on webcams now

Local papers have said "crowds are gathering" - captioning photos of a handful of people. Will be more about but sheltering until last minute presumably

There's a junglie in the air presumably filming it and for top cover. It's not one of the ones that travelled up with the ship but has flown up from Yeovilton this morning.
The two that travelled up with it are on the deck towards the stern for those who are interested in whether they can be seen.

Last edited:
Pretty well clagged up around the Mersey estuary this lunchtime, the tug crews certainly earn't their corn.

49597137052_3bd5d92044_o.jpg

GC

It is sunny and very windy at the moment!

HMS Prince of Wales being "photo bombed" by the Royal Iris:ROFLMAO:

49604082573_087e257057_o.jpg

GC

Departure time for HMS Prince of Wales is scheduled for 15.45hrs Fri 6th. WX not looking brilliant so far but better than on arrival.

GC

Back