Alessandro

Name
Dean
Edit My Images
No
An old archive shot from a shot I did a few years back. I completely disregarded it at the time because it didn't fit the brief, but I'm glad that I found it. All comments and crit welcome.

23026661580_32b2692a91_o.jpg

I like this, split lighting works well here I think. I like the way he gets "lost" into the background. You've captured a nice engaging image here.

116 views and two comments. :/

You did post this past midnight... probably most views are from sleepy browsers... anyway.

Like it, its kind of confused on whether it wants to be high or low contrast and sits right in the middle.. No harsh shadows which works well with his face as he has quite chiselled features.

You did post this past midnight... probably most views are from sleepy browsers... anyway.

Like it, its kind of confused on whether it wants to be high or low contrast and sits right in the middle.. No harsh shadows which works well with his face as he has quite chiselled features.
I posted it at around midday yesterday, bud. :)

That's happened to a couple of mine. Mainly, I think, when an image is entirely competent but a bit dull.

You know the good bits already - it's nicely framed, well exposed with a good mono conversion. The lighting's interesting and obviously what you intended.

So how to improve it? I think the dramatic split lighting doesn't really suit the mildly cheerful but slightly bland expression.

That's happened to a couple of mine. Mainly, I think, when an image is entirely competent but a bit dull.

You know the good bits already - it's nicely framed, well exposed with a good mono conversion. The lighting's interesting and obviously what you intended.

So how to improve it? I think the dramatic split lighting doesn't really suit the mildly cheerful but slightly bland expression.
You could be right. I suspect that when I was looking through this shoot (several people for a band composite) this was one of the only half decent shots of Alessandro I got. He was a rabbit in the headlights in front of the camera. In the context of the shoot it's a decent shot, but on its own maybe not. I think that I like it technically which is why it stood out.

I looked yesterday and moved on sorry Dean, technically great and everything as it should be, but unfortunately not a very interesting subject or his character doesn't seem to come over?

I looked yesterday and moved on sorry Dean, technically great and everything as it should be, but unfortunately not a very interesting subject or his character doesn't seem to come over?

No, that's fair enough. See my above comment to Simon.

his ear seems to be about the brightest part of the shot… overall though its a nice shot

+1
I would have moved to the right (one step or so) and asked him to follow me
with his head or whole body… just enough to let the light kiss his right eye
and upper cheek… but that is just me!

Yeah, good point about the ear and angle. This is from a shoot three years ago and Alessandro was so uncomfortable in front of the camera that he couldn't even take simple direction. I'm much better at getting what I want from subjects these days.

Can't add anything more constructive than what's been said already Dean. Like it, even though you say he wasn't comfortable that doesn't come across. The lighting suits the subject perfectly.

Can't add anything more constructive than what's been said already Dean. Like it, even though you say he wasn't comfortable that doesn't come across. The lighting suits the subject perfectly.
Thanks. I can see why people aren't that into it, but I still like it. :)

I quite like it, and I think there's enough 'character' coming through

I'd have preferred his head tilting by the same amount the other way, and his ear seems to be about the brightest part of the shot, so I'd tone that down a bit too

Overall though its a nice shot :)

Dave
Thanks Dave. I'll fiddle with his ear. ;)

Back