Alex & Donna - Wedding

• Thread starter Deleted member 21335
  • Start date
I don't like to see this much disparity between colours

My thoughts exactly when I saw this on your website Ryan ;)

Ryan Jarvis Photography screengrab.jpg

Pot & kettle comes to mind lol - and yes, we ALL do it at times - I don't find your ambient green v flash white annoying either, it is the same couple I take it (love the first one btw) - but they would look odd on the same page so that's all I'd avoid :)

Dave

I think when you go back to a wedding I shot 5 years ago you're clutching at straws Dave. And whilst the top picture of the two was VERY popular at the time it was probably also the last time I used a preset on a wedding image.

I know you won't believe that last sentence but there's tons of weddings on my blog from the last couple of years so feel free to go have a look. And carry on taking every opportunity to disagree with me and belittle me Dave.

ETA - we're supposed to be helping Gareth here. If you have any more beef with me please feel free to send me a PM.

Last edited:
carry on taking every opportunity to disagree with me and belittle me Dave.

Thanks

While ever you exhibit no sense of humour at all it'll happen - aside from which, its the 4th & 5th images on your current website's Wedding portfolio - how the Hell is anyone to know you haven't updated it for 5 years !!! Come on man, get a grip :)

I do like your recent Wedding images on your blog though, there seems to be a lot of nice water down your way :)

Dave

I really like them Gareth and I like your PP too.

Yes, there a few little things like the phone in the pocket or the coat hanger that might have been moved but we are all here looking at the photos from a photographers POV and we are looking for things to comment on or content for CC (that is no bad thing as we all want to improve and every point should be noted). I guarantee most punters wouldn't give those things a second glance and would love these for their wedding pics though.

Thank you, appreciate the comments. :)
I love the Blog, some interesting takes, shame about the Mobile Phone - but we all have them and forget they are with us

Overall I love them ( the images not mobile phones ) :p

Les ;)

Thank you, Les. Also for taking a look at the full set. :)

If you haven't got the foggiest idea about what you like about these photos then I'd suggest you start to give this a lot of thought. Because if you don't KNOW what you like about a photo, how can you hope to produce images that you like week in and week out. You talk about the importance of liking your work as much as the couple and your peers but you then admit you don't know what you like. Maybe a bad choice of words on your part, but (as read) you need to know what you like and don't like ASAP.

With regards the four pictures you posted, I'm trying to work out why he changed suits part way through the wedding.
Sounds like a pointless dig at the processing :(

So long as they don't go onto the same page, and hence be obvious, its not a problem at all for me. I have this often too as I too PP different types of shots differently and of course light changes its own WB too; I wouldn't dream of killing a lovely sunset to try to match a suit/dress colour to an earlier flash or tungsten lit shot for example

Dave

I know the images from other people that I love and would love to produce, but my stuff is so far from it I don't know where to begin which is why I am looking into some training.

I agree that the colour difference between them is a lot. Going back into LR, I can get it a little closer but with the light difference from early afternoon to late evening, surely there is going to be some difference in colour due to the change in light? As I say, a little WB tweak brings them closer than they are but getting them the same would make the skin wrong. Until your second post, Ryan, I thought that putting it like that was a little petty to be honest, but as you have taken the time to look at the full blog now and say that it was tongue in cheek, I shall respond to that also.....

I don't really have the time to make "pointless digs" at anything. If I take the time to comment it's with the intention of helping. And whilst it was said with tongue in cheek I don't like to see this much disparity between colours. My first thought on seeing image 4 was that the shadows had been pushed far too far in post production. Of course I'll never know if that was the case or not....

Regards the blog. Overall a good set but some I'd bin or at least try to do better next time. Examples:-

Groom at bar - shame you didn't time this before he turned his head away.
Hangers - both grooms and brides
Bride coming down stairs - just lost the bottom of her foot. Shame as great expression.
Father hugging daughter - focus is on the back of his head rather than her face. As a side note I think the focus is off on the shot of bride laughing just after the shot of her coming down stairs.
Shot after hugging - focus looks to be on bridesmaid wearing glasses in background
Kissing in church - framing a little off to leave lots of head-room and cut off hands.
First shot of B&G in countryside - not a far of his arm hanging loose like this. Pose is also very open to camera which takes away the "caught in the moment" feel it could have had.
Best-Man speech. Move left or right to get rid of light fitting in background
Bride and groom sitting on wall - try to avoid shooting into grooms crotch and hands could have been better placed
First first-dance shot. Cut off their feet - might been better to get in closer to shoot mid thigh upwards.
The two images in the lane before Number 4 above - colour balance too inconsistent for my liking and two images which could easily sit together in an album.

That's it. Overall some fab images and great moments captured in a nice, relaxed style. Just a few little bits of attention to detail really.

I have been back and read this twice before responding and also checked through the blog post as I did so. You make some valid points. A couple I don't agree with but I don't have to agree with them all. For example, the one you mention about focus being on the bridesmaid with glasses, the father is also in focus. I have checked the original. It was shot at 24mm. Again with regards to the colour balance with the ones in the lane, from shooting directly into the sun and then having the sun behind me, I am curious how to rectify this. :)

Of course I will try to do better next time, as you say. I am trying to do better each time, however some of the comments confirmed my worst thoughts. That I shouldn't be asking the price I am asking and am considering offering some refunds or at least telling the ones that I have booked will now be priced lower for the forseeable future and their final balance will be less. :)

Thank you, appreciate the comments. :)

Thank you, Les. Also for taking a look at the full set. :)

I know the images from other people that I love and would love to produce, but my stuff is so far from it I don't know where to begin which is why I am looking into some training.

I agree that the colour difference between them is a lot. Going back into LR, I can get it a little closer but with the light difference from early afternoon to late evening, surely there is going to be some difference in colour due to the change in light? As I say, a little WB tweak brings them closer than they are but getting them the same would make the skin wrong. Until your second post, Ryan, I thought that putting it like that was a little petty to be honest, but as you have taken the time to look at the full blog now and say that it was tongue in cheek, I shall respond to that also.....

I have been back and read this twice before responding and also checked through the blog post as I did so. You make some valid points. A couple I don't agree with but I don't have to agree with them all. For example, the one you mention about focus being on the bridesmaid with glasses, the father is also in focus. I have checked the original. It was shot at 24mm. Again with regards to the colour balance with the ones in the lane, from shooting directly into the sun and then having the sun behind me, I am curious how to rectify this. :)

Of course I will try to do better next time, as you say. I am trying to do better each time, however some of the comments confirmed my worst thoughts. That I shouldn't be asking the price I am asking and am considering offering some refunds or at least telling the ones that I have booked will now be priced lower for the forseeable future and their final balance will be less. :)

I believe they were both shot into the sun and that's why I think they should be closer in terms of white balance.

It's comments like you make in your final sentence that make it very hard to help you. It seems like a few negative critiques and you want to start charging less and giving people refunds. It's this overreaction that makes me personally want to avoid ever commenting on your work. Which is a real shame because in the main you're a good wedding photographer. Certainly above average and unless you're charging £2,000 per wedding I don't think there's any reason at all to be making discounts or refunds.

I believe they were both shot into the sun and that's why I think they should be closer in terms of white balance.

It's comments like you make in your final sentence that make it very hard to help you. It seems like a few negative critiques and you want to start charging less and giving people refunds. It's this overreaction that makes me personally want to avoid ever commenting on your work. Which is a real shame because in the main you're a good wedding photographer. Certainly above average and unless you're charging £2,000 per wedding I don't think there's any reason at all to be making discounts or refunds.

Potentially an overreaction yes, I will concede that. I'm just finding it very tough to stay positive lately so must apologise in that respect.

Back