aliengrove TP 52 2018 : Week 16-Shadow

Jon

The B&W image for me, while it's hard to see the bridge itself it is obivous it is there with the stream and railings. Nice Contrast.
Is it an InfraRed colour shot converted to B*W or is it a converted Digital Camera.

Pete

Thanks for all the comments, folks! Apologies for the late replies, had a bit of a strange week....never seem to have time, in spite of not being busy.

I'm really enjoying this 52 challenge, and seeing some great entries.

A nice set of shots Jon, I think I like overgrown the most. I like how the path leads the eye through the shot to the dark tree in the middle

I think this was my favourite shot, not sure how on theme though....

I like the first shot. It has the feel of a sunny, yet cold winters day.
Though the 3rd shot comes in a close second for me, with the stream leading you to the bridge.

I like the 3rd one with the stream, then the first one I think these 2 are the best for the theme

Thanks; I think it would have worked better with more sun, and hence more contrast; I might revisit this one.

overgrown shot for me, that dark tree down the path is very well placed.

Thanks, I'm loving infrared in winter with birch trees.

Those are two natural and atmospheric images for People, Jon, but my favourite is the first, which has a greater feel of immediacy and 'being there', and that's a massive cloud of smoke coming from the nearest guy!

You've posted a nice selection of images for Stark too, and although I love the colours in the IR image, I'm a sucker for the reflection in the Woodland Path image (y)

Finally, another good selection for Over! I really like the last two, but my favourite is the final one with the lane leading off through the trees and into that slightly mysterious darkness

Thanks!

I have to say the third is my favourite although the IR effect in the first gives it a sort of mystical atmosphere:)

Yes, IR is great for spooky/mysterious type images.

Bridge over troubled little stream .... just fine (y) ... or could it do with cropping up top?o_O

I'll have a look at that, thanks.

#1 for me, great shot, I like the crisp colours!

Thanks!

3rd shot for over, like it in mono and has a nice gritty look to it.

Thanks, Dave!

Jon

The B&W image for me, while it's hard to see the bridge itself it is obivous it is there with the stream and railings. Nice Contrast.
Is it an InfraRed colour shot converted to B*W or is it a converted Digital Camera.

Pete

The image is a colour infrard image, taken at 665nm, and converted to mono with Topaz B+W Effects.

Last edited:
Week 5 Age(ing)

Only 1 shot for the theme this week; this is my old Brownie, which is still working. I bought it for 2 quid from a charity shop a few years ago. I've still got a few 127 films for it, so must get it out some time.

Kodak Brownie 127 by Jon, on Flickr

Last edited:
Like it, nicely taken and love the colouring. We had one of these as the family camera in the 60's.

Clever - like it

Very nicely presented I like the processing

Like it, nicely taken and love the colouring. We had one of these as the family camera in the 60's.

nice photo of an oldie.

They don't make them like that anymore - just as well really.

Pete

Thanks folks. I was trying to make it look like an old faded pic they used on adverts. Pic was taken with an old lens, too, the Zeiss Distagon T* 28mm f2.0 I have used on all the images entered so far this year.

Week 5; Sharp

I took this this afternoon (Thursday) I had to use a different lens (Pentax smc-A 50mm f1.4, with a 10mm extension tube) to the one I've been using so far, as I needed f1.4 vs the f2.0 of the 28mm lens. So that's my plan of using the same lens all year out the window; however, I'm going to stick to using mf legacy lenses.

The title is 5 O'clock Sharp, for some reason the title turned to gibberish when I posted it; flickr evidently does not like apostrophes, so I've removed the apostrophe.

5 O clock sharp by Jon, on Flickr

Last edited:
My reply to your Ageing has disappeared ... Ageing ... Nice low pov and angle, different processing that works. (y)

Sharp ... well the V is sharp.

My reply to your Ageing has disappeared ... Ageing ... Nice low pov and angle, different processing that works. (y)

Sharp ... well the V is sharp.

Hmm, not sure what happened to your reply, I've not deleted anything. Thanks for commenting again.

V is the only bit I wanted to be sharp. ;) Hence 5 o'clock sharp...

Last edited:
That's a great shot. I saw this on my phone and without glasses and thought, what the heck is this - then I came home and looked again. Perfect shot.

What time did you take it? :exit:

5 o`clock sharp is on theme and quite a clever little shot.

Thanks, Dave. As soon as I saw the theme my eyes drifted to the sundial in our garden

That's a great shot. I saw this on my phone and without glasses and thought, what the heck is this - then I came home and looked again. Perfect shot.

What time did you take it? :exit:

I took it about 3pm on Thursday. It was raining so I brought the sundial indoors, and used a headtorch in lieu of the sun.

I posted it on this thread at exactly 5pm :) (For some reason I can't fathom it shows 8pm under the thread when I look at it. I am wondering if my computer is thinking I am still in Qatar)

Last edited:
Having the V sharp and nothing else is a very clever idea (y)

Sharp
I like that, it's a good angle and I like the emphasis on the V.

It’s You! You got picked on my comment rota.

Week 5 - My second ever camera! Good choice of toning to give an aged feel.
Week 6 - Just having the V sharp works well with title.

Age - lovely shot, the way you have processed adds age to the feel of it
Sharp - clever Idea normally I would like it more in focus but for this theme it works really well as it is

Last edited:
Hi JOn,

Age - Looks a bit tidier than the one I have from my childhood. I think it was in the discussion thread I mentioned I must try to get some film for it. Processing works here, gives it an aged look.
Sharp - Nicely done. The shadow at 5 being sharp :)
There are many characters that get converted when you move them from flickr to html/bbcode, the gibberish will be the html code for '. Just re-edit the title and it's fine :)

It’s You! You got picked on my comment rota.

Week 5 - My second ever camera! Good choice of toning to give an aged feel.
Week 6 - Just having the V sharp works well with title.

I like the idea of a rota...I'm finding I'm not getting round to everyone's shots.
Thanks for the comments

Age - lovely shot, the way you have processed adds age to the feel of it
Sharp - clever Idea normally I would like it more in focus but for this theme it works really well as it is

Thanks. This challenge has been great for getting me thinking; I like that it's making me try stuff I normally wouldn't do.

Agreed, lovely shot

Sharp is another clever shot that makes you think....

Thanks, it's been fun doing this challenge so far!

Hi JOn,

Age - Looks a bit tidier than the one I have from my childhood. I think it was in the discussion thread I mentioned I must try to get some film for it. Processing works here, gives it an aged look.
Sharp - Nicely done. The shadow at 5 being sharp :)
There are many characters that get converted when you move them from flickr to html/bbcode, the gibberish will be the html code for '. Just re-edit the title and it's fine :)

Thanks! I must run a film through that camera.It's actually got one in at the moment.
I've changed the title on Flickr, as suggested.

Last edited:
Week 7- Guard(ed)

Had a bit of a week, so I've only just got around to shooting this. I've got to say that the theme had me stumped for a while. The pic was shot with available light (a neon tube) in my garage, so it unfortunately shows up more blemishes on the chrome than I'd like. I don't own a flash.

I'm off on holiday for 3 weeks on Sunday, but will shoot the themes each week even I can't post them. Likewise, I'll get round to more comments on everyone's threads when I get back.

Mudguard. by Jon, on Flickr

Nice shot for the theme Jon, took me a minute to work out what it was

It is a Mud Guard and the reflections on the chrome are distracting, but I guess there was not much you could about it.
Is there gold or silver fleck in the red paint?

Pete

Age(ing) - good image for the theme and good processing on the image as well.
Sharp - sadly this isnt working for me.
Guard(ed) - I must admit it took me a couple of looks before I worked out what it was, a nice idea for the theme.

I hope you are going somewhere nice for your holiday and you have a great time.

You're "Guarded" shot works for me Sir, great idea & presentation.(y)

George.

Nice shot for the theme Jon, took me a minute to work out what it was

Thanks!

It is a Mud Guard and the reflections on the chrome are distracting, but I guess there was not much you could about it.
Is there gold or silver fleck in the red paint?

Pete

Took me a while to figure it out. You've done well with available light and it's not easy to take photos of shiny objects.

Yes, the reflections were problematic. I should probably have taken a bit moe time over it and worked out a better method of lighting.

Age(ing) - good image for the theme and good processing on the image as well.
Sharp - sadly this isnt working for me.
Guard(ed) - I must admit it took me a couple of looks before I worked out what it was, a nice idea for the theme.

I hope you are going somewhere nice for your holiday and you have a great time.

Thanks, heading off in the morning. No wifi, so I'll ctatch up when I get back. I'm way behind on commenting on images.

I can see the camera but not the photographer. :)

Lol

You're "Guarded" shot works for me Sir, great idea & presentation.(y)

George.

Thanks George

Week 8-Thick

I tried out a few different shots this week, but this was the only one I was happy with.

I must apologise for not catching up on everyone's images, was in hospital briefly, and now off on holiday to a place with no wifi (except in the reception area) for 3 weeks (though I believe I should have a phone signal). I will try and catch up on everyone's images when I get back, or possibly even while there. It's great seeing all your different interpretations of the themes.

Thick and thin by Jon, on Flickr

Last edited:
That's a really cool image Jon. Great for theme and lovely composition and conversion

Very nice "Thick" shot Sir, bang on theme, some fine detail and works well in mono.(y)

George.

... liking this very much ... good subject matter, sharp with total oof BG. Uncomplicated and most pleasing. :clap:

That's a really cool image Jon. Great for theme and lovely composition and conversion

Lovely sharp image of the brushes

What a very good shot for the theme Jon, bang on and looks great in mono and sharp (y)

Very nice "Thick" shot Sir, bang on theme, some fine detail and works well in mono.(y)

George.

Thanks everyone!

Initially I didn't think much of this other shot I took for the theme, but after processing it I actually quite like this one too.

Thick tome by Jon, on Flickr

I like them both, great tones and sharp detail. Was going to use the book theme and that looks very good in mono. Back to the drawing board then :)

Back