aliengrove TP 52 2018 : Week 16-Shadow

Really like the paint brushes, good idea for the theme, well lit and well captured

Nice shots jon, I really like the one of the book

That's a really cool image Jon. Great for theme and lovely composition and conversion

Yep, one of this weeks better shots for sure....like the idea and execution a lot.

I considered a book, but its hard to add interest I think,

Hi Jon,
Guard - Even knowing it's a mud guard, I don#'t see it. Well, I guess the red bit is the mudguard, but I don't get what the chrome is. Some mad Harley inspired creation? I like the colours.
Thick - Nice simple image. Plenty of detail, yet a pleasingly shallow DoF. (y)

guard - I didn't know what that was until I read your title, looked like something out of a sci fi movie... I like it (y)
thick - both are great photos, but I prefer #1!

Hi Jon

Stark - Really like the white tree against the blue sky and the woodland path with the trees reflected in the puddle
Over - Third one for me in this selection, nice little bridge through the trees
Age - nice processing on this one it suits the age of the camera
Sharp - I know this is what you wanted to do but its a little to oof for me
Guard - Nice abstract image just a shame that the lighting has shown up all the marks in the chrome
Thick - I like both your images for this theme but will go with the brushes as its an unusual take on the theme

:D

Thick

I really quite like the paint brushes, the different sizes, heights and diffused background all work to make a good all round photo for the theme.

Hi Jon,
Guard - Even knowing it's a mud guard, I don#'t see it. Well, I guess the red bit is the mudguard, but I don't get what the chrome is. Some mad Harley inspired creation? I like the colours.
Thick - Nice simple image. Plenty of detail, yet a pleasingly shallow DoF. (y)

guard - I didn't know what that was until I read your title, looked like something out of a sci fi movie... I like it (y)
thick - both are great photos, but I prefer #1!

Jon

The Brushes are the better Image. Nice details and oof background.

Pete

I like the brush shot and the black and white works well.

Hi Jon

Stark - Really like the white tree against the blue sky and the woodland path with the trees reflected in the puddle
Over - Third one for me in this selection, nice little bridge through the trees
Age - nice processing on this one it suits the age of the camera
Sharp - I know this is what you wanted to do but its a little to oof for me
Guard - Nice abstract image just a shame that the lighting has shown up all the marks in the chrome
Thick - I like both your images for this theme but will go with the brushes as its an unusual take on the theme

:D

Thick - both images bang on theme for me, but the different shaped brushes adds more interest for me and the. Very well executed and thought out and lovely pp work.

Thick

I really quite like the paint brushes, the different sizes, heights and diffused background all work to make a good all round photo for the theme.

Thanks for the comments everyone. I must apologise for my tardiness in replying. I've had a very stressful and difficult couple of weeks. First I was in hospital for a day, then Tui managed to completely mess up our 3 week holiday in the Canaries; we have spent about a week on the phone trying to salvage something of this holiday, which Tui were not very interested in doing. It's a very long story, but we are going to try and go on holiday tomorrow morning, though due to Tui's total lack of interest in customer welfare, it's now going to only be 10 days. I will catch up when we get back.

Thanks again to all of you for taking the time to comment.

Week 9; Abundance.

Due to events mentioned above, it's been difficult for me to get motivated or find the time for shooting,.This is the only shot for this week.

Abundance by Jon, on Flickr

An abundance of colour too Jon. Enjoy your delayed break and I hope you can get something sorted on your return.

It's a good take on the theme, nicely photographed, sorry to hear about your holiday prollems, I hope things work out for you

Abundance of nice colourful flowers, with pleasing focus.

Enjoy your Holiday.

Pete

Just catching up with your thread after getting up to date again with mine, and you've posted some strong images since my last visit. The old Box Brownie for Age(Ing) is a good idea and your processing gives it an old feel, too. I also really like both images for Thick, especially the brushes as it's an unusual idea and full of details and textures, and Abundance is a beautiful colourful image for the theme, especially that lovely central flower. Enjoy your holiday :)

Week 9; Abundance.

Due to events mentioned above, it's been difficult for me to get motivated or find the time for shooting,.This is the only shot for this week.

Abundance by Jon, on Flickr

An abundance of petals - and abundance of colour - either way, beautiful image with stunning flowers

Sounds like you've had a bit of a hard/miserable time of it.
Hopefully the shot you took here cheered you up a bit, the bloom really pops well from the background and has some lovely detail.

Guard - Lovely old Mud guard very retro
Thick - Great Idea for the theme nice detail on the bristles
Abundance- an Abundance of petals indeed I like how you have made the central flowers really stand out from the back ground

Hope you enjoy(ed) what Holiday you do have.

Sorry about your troubles Jon, hope it`s sorted soon. Abundance of flower petals is on theme, so well done on getting a shot in.

An abundance of colour too Jon. Enjoy your delayed break and I hope you can get something sorted on your return.

It's a good take on the theme, nicely photographed, sorry to hear about your holiday prollems, I hope things work out for you

Abundance of nice colourful flowers, with pleasing focus.

Enjoy your Holiday.

Pete

Abundance - works for me, a lovely brightly coloured image, and looks great when looked at on flickr.

Just catching up with your thread after getting up to date again with mine, and you've posted some strong images since my last visit. The old Box Brownie for Age(Ing) is a good idea and your processing gives it an old feel, too. I also really like both images for Thick, especially the brushes as it's an unusual idea and full of details and textures, and Abundance is a beautiful colourful image for the theme, especially that lovely central flower. Enjoy your holiday :)

An abundance of petals - and abundance of colour - either way, beautiful image with stunning flowers

Sounds like you've had a bit of a hard/miserable time of it.
Hopefully the shot you took here cheered you up a bit, the bloom really pops well from the background and has some lovely detail.

Fab colour contrast, sharp in the right places. (y)

Guard - Lovely old Mud guard very retro
Thick - Great Idea for the theme nice detail on the bristles
Abundance- an Abundance of petals indeed I like how you have made the central flowers really stand out from the back ground

Hope you enjoy(ed) what Holiday you do have.

Thanks for the comments everyone! Just got back from holiday, was nice to finally get away, but it's put my wife off holidays involving flights permanently, unfortunately.....Still no proper reply from Tui, they just repeatedly send stock replies to any emails.

I took an image for Heavy while away, so will post that later on. I will also start to catch up on seeing what everyone else has been posting; I only had my phone, and data only, to get online while away. I've yet to look properly at any of the pics I took. The island of La Palma is quite photogenic, though I didn't take nearly as many pics as I thought I would. I'm looking forward to continuing this challenge, it's been very good for making me try different things and smoothing over a few ruts.

Week 10 Heavy and Week 11 Wet

Both of these were taken in their respective weeks while on holiday. I was hoping for a different take on heavy, but unfortunately wasn't happy with the result.

Heavy Armour by Jon, on Flickr

Wet Sunset at Zamora by Jon, on Flickr

Hope the second one isn't pushing the theme too much-I did get pretty wet, a large wave caused a hasty retreat shortly after I took this!

Last edited:
Absolutely love wet - stunning sunset

Not sure on heavy - is that cactus itself heavy?

Absolutely love wet - stunning sunset

Not sure on heavy - is that cactus itself heavy?

I didn't try lifting it lol....The idea behind the shot was the heavy defences of the cactus, rather than it's weight.

Heavy, prickly too ... sharp in more ways than one.

Wet ... gloriously atmospheric. :clap:

Abundance - love the colours (y)
Heavy - doesn't shout out heavy to me, but great sharpness and nicely composed
Wet - the first one obviously, great atmospheric shot, and perfectly timed that the sun shines on the rocks in the foreground!

Heavy - get the theme once it was explained, very sharp and detailed.

Wet - lovely Image, good colours and detail. a couple of spots of dust on your sensor need removing.

Pete

Heavy - that is indeed a heavy Armour of spikes lovely detail of the spikes
Wet - water is definitely wet, rough water and great sunset and I like it and the second seascape very pretty too

Heavy, prickly too ... sharp in more ways than one.

Wet ... gloriously atmospheric. :clap:

Abundance - love the colours (y)
Heavy - doesn't shout out heavy to me, but great sharpness and nicely composed
Wet - the first one obviously, great atmospheric shot, and perfectly timed that the sun shines on the rocks in the foreground!

Heavy - get the theme once it was explained, very sharp and detailed.

Wet - lovely Image, good colours and detail. a couple of spots of dust on your sensor need removing.

Pete

Heavy - that is indeed a heavy Armour of spikes lovely detail of the spikes
Wet - water is definitely wet, rough water and great sunset and I like it and the second seascape very pretty too

Thanks everyone! The first one was perhaps pushing the theme a bit. The second I was lucky to be somewhere I could get out in the sun!

Week 12- Juxtaposition.

I shot this one first for the theme, a few days ago, but although I was happy with the idea, I was not so happy with the result.

Juxtaposition2 by Jon, on Flickr

I took this one this afternoon, after spotting the contrast between some figures on a shelf in the lounge. A bit of rearrangement, and a bit of luck with available light resulted in this shot. The Arab figures are wine bottle covers we bought in Qatar.

Juxtaposition by Jon, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi Jon

I like the old tech new tech shot, maybe have the Yashica over to the right a bit more on the Sony screen, so it is looking into that picture.

The 2nd shot is for me okay, I like the take on the theme, but the wine bottle covers are just a bit jokey compared to the rest of the picture.

Pete

Hi Jon

I like the old tech new tech shot, maybe have the Yashica over to the right a bit more on the Sony screen, so it is looking into that picture.

The 2nd shot is for me okay, I like the take on the theme, but the wine bottle covers are just a bit jokey compared to the rest of the picture.

Pete

Thanks for the comments.
The jokey wine bottle covers posed with the classical looking statue are another juxtaposition no? :)

All of your Juxtaposition shots work for me Sir, but my fav' would be the old Yashica 6 x 6 camera in the screen of the Sony. "Great Idea"(y)

George.

Ooh, I do like that first image for Wet with the super sky and foreground details, Jon. It's all too easy to get caught by a wave near rocks like that so you did well to keep your camera gear dry :)

Both images for Juxtaposition are well thought-out and work very well. The second is funny and works on more than one level, but I just prefer the first as it's such a clear juxtaposition of old and new technology and I have a soft spot for old cameras (y)

Juxtaposition ... old/new ... Yes why not! Therefore the cameras are on theme, and I love it. And the Sony surrounded by OOFness works. (y)

What a nice Yashica! Great setup and composition!

The second photo is quite funny and works for the theme.

Back