aliengrove TP 52 2018 : Week 16-Shadow

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
Yes
First time trying a 52. .....one from the garden to start off....I've not got anything else local as it's been chucking it down with rain for a week :( . Still I believe this is a practice round? I needed the practice as it took me ages to work out the Linky thing :)

Berry (bokeh test) by Jon, on Flickr

Last edited:
Good start, I'd be tempted to tone down the highlights centre left but nice subject with good DoF

First time trying a 52. .....one from the garden to start off....I've not got anything else local as it's been chucking it down with rain for a week :( . Still I believe this is a practice round? I needed the practice as it took me ages to work out the Linky thing :)

Berry (bokeh test) by Jon, on Flickr
Lovely broken it is too!

Thanks everyone! It's going to be an interesting challenge, never tried anything like this before this, hopefully it will get me out of my comfort zone and get me trying new things.

I just went out for a walk looking for subjects for Week 1. Bizarrely, a gate I remembered in our local park doesn't actually exist! Just about to have a look at the pics I did get.

An afternoons walk got me two images for the Week 1 theme...had a bit of difficulty deciding which one to go for, but I think this one...

Heavens Gate by Jon, on Flickr

I quite like this too, as it shows a gate on a gatehouse at our local cemetery, which due to the theme I thought quite appropriate.

Gatehouse gate by Jon, on Flickr

Strangely, I ended up doing both of these as vertical 2 shot pano's.

Last edited:
Hi Jon two nice shots and blue sky too lol. My pick is #2 as like how the shadow is landing on the gate with the nice house in the BG, my only nit pic is, clone out the tree on the top LHS :) Remember to put a link in too.

Thanks, Dave, I wondered about cloning out that tree....I ended up posting the first one on the images thread before I saw your comment.

Early day yet, but so far loving this challenge....it made me go for a long walk this afternoon if nothing else! :)

Really like the first gate one. Great angle and concept

Hi Jon.

I dont like the grave one becuase (to me) the difference in the focus is just too great and jars. You say it was a 2 shot vertical pano, did you alter the focus at all?)
I much prefer the gate house, nice colours, shame about the 2 sky dishes.
Pete

Hi Jon.

I dont like the grave one becuase (to me) the difference in the focus is just too great and jars. You say it was a 2 shot vertical pano, did you alter the focus at all?)
I much prefer the gate house, nice colours, shame about the 2 sky dishes.
Pete

The focus wasn't changed between shots, Pete. I just tilted the camera up slightly for the second shot. I can understand where you're coming from re the focus; the shots were taken at f2, at quite close distance.

I have to confess that the lens I used, an older Contax mount Zeiss Distagon T* 28mm f2, has recently made me a bit of a bokeh junkie. It's by far my favourite lens. Plus, out of respect I guess, I wanted to blur the writing on the gravestone; it's quite a recent grave.

Two good images for this theme, Jon, and hard to pick a favourite. I like the first for the use of DOF to concentrate on the little fence at the front of the grave, and the white of the fence contrasts nicely with the lovely blue sky (!), but the second one also appeals because of the warm sunny light (!) on the wall and the shadow on the gate. Two good choices and they both work for me (y)

First one for me. I like the pov and the dof. It makes the fence look almost toy like :D

Very vibrant images, both of them. Something to do with the low winter sun you seems to have somehow found I guess ;)
Of the two, the first one for me, it seems to almost be Tilt Shift, though I suspect it isn't.

First one for me. I like the pov and the dof. It makes the fence look almost toy like :D

Very vibrant images, both of them. Something to do with the low winter sun you seems to have somehow found I guess ;)
Of the two, the first one for me, it seems to almost be Tilt Shift, though I suspect it isn't.

This lens has a pretty unique way of rendering images imo....especially in close-ups, which it excels at. It was nicknamed the "Hollywood", as it is developed from a cinematic lens

Last edited:
number one for me, fabulous rendering. Oh and stunning website :clap: !

Your Area - It looks to me like there is water gathering at the end of the leaf well captured.
Gated. - clever idea for the first shot but I like the second one better I like the shadow on the gate

Hi Mark and welcome

Heavens Gate is a good find, something unusual for the theme, really nicely captured. (y)

Lovely dof on the first - the second feels more like a snapshot & the gate being in shadow draws the eye away from that area.

Hi mark, Like the idea of the first one, just think the OOF is a bit overdone. Good find though. lovely colours in the second brings a winter feel to the shot. Great start to the 52

Couple of good Gate shots Sir, with #1 being a bit different and well presented.(y)

George.

#1 is something different, I like it. Great PoV, good DoF (y)

Thanks for all the comments, apologies for not replying sooner, been staying with family in a remote part of Scotland with dodgy internet and no phone signal. The good news is I got a couple of people shots which I will post later.

I've just got back from Scotland, and only had one real opportunity to get some people pics...a Friday night darts competition at the Tigh na Truish (house of trousers) pub on the Isle of Seil. A combination of low light, a manual focus lens and several malt whiskies meant I only got a couple of shots that I was reasonably happy with.

Pub banter by Jon, on Flickr

Pub people by Jon, on Flickr

Nice shots Jon, I like the first one more. I think the lighting is better

Both got character to 'em - what's with the first one - I can't work out if the guy is cuddling a load of fluffed up cotton or he's vaping like crazy

Well for me it is the Gatehouse and gate, the grave image is cool with the narrow DoF but doesn't work for me I am afraid my eyes struggle to settle anywhere, where as the gate house has much more detail and is easy on the eye :)

People, I like both shots, people in conversation, the second one is my preference of the two due to the great character in the middle :)

Jon

You have captured the atmosphere of the pub very well. No doubt the several malt whiskies helped juggle all the parameters.
I like the bearded gent in the 2nd photo, he makes that photo.
On the 1st it's a shame about all that vapour as it confuses a bit.

Pete

Both got character to 'em - what's with the first one - I can't work out if the guy is cuddling a load of fluffed up cotton or he's vaping like crazy

Yep.he's vaping like crazy!

Well for me it is the Gatehouse and gate, the grave image is cool with the narrow DoF but doesn't work for me I am afraid my eyes struggle to settle anywhere, where as the gate house has much more detail and is easy on the eye :)

People, I like both shots, people in conversation, the second one is my preference of the two due to the great character in the middle :)

Jon

You have captured the atmosphere of the pub very well. No doubt the several malt whiskies helped juggle all the parameters.
I like the bearded gent in the 2nd photo, he makes that photo.
On the 1st it's a shame about all that vapour as it confuses a bit.

Pete

Yes, I think I prefer the second one too.

Back