All in one multifunction printer recommendation

Edit My Images
No
Morning,

I was looking for a new printer. It to print school projects and from time to time update the frames around the house with 6x4 7x5 and 10x8 prints.

Rest time is b&w admin prints.

Any recommendations for an all in one?

Epson XP760/860/960 and a few Canon's like TS8150 look decent but really unsure as also need to factor in the ink costs. Compatibles always seem to clog up or not be as good.

Thanks.

I've been extremely happy with my Canon MG 4250, had it for several years and I can get nice colour prints from it, even sometimes coax it into giving me a decent black and white print without noticeable colour cast. On that basis (and size) I've recommended on of the new TS series (the 5-ink ones) for my daughter. They have XL cartridges available, and the literature promises XXL cartridges, though I haven't found any for sale yet.

Ink costs are always the issue for cheaper printers, but I think you have to spend quite a lot on big hardware for that not to be the case. I've always used Canon inks on the machine above, and it's been great. Many folk on here use compatible cartridges, and seem happy. I bought a compatible set for a different printer, and the printer doesn't seem to know how much ink is in the cartridge, which is annoying. Dunno if "re-manufactured" cartridges get round this issue?

It's always a struggle to find a do everything printer so we now have three.

We have an HP Laserjet Pro MFP M281FDW for everyday printing like invoices the kids homeworks etc. This printer is awesome but being a laser printer no good for photos. Compatible toner doesn't have the same issues as the cheap ink cartridges do so running costs are very low.

We also have an old Canon IP7250 standalone a4 printer which I have had for a good while which is pretty decent for photos up to A4 size, the kids mainly use this for printing their photos.

We also have a Canon Pro 10s which I use for the odd photo I would print myself although that isn't often as would normally just order prints online.

Last edited:
We have an HP Officejet Pro 6830 and the lowest HP ink package, we have had a couple of problems with it but they have been sorted out by HP who replaced the printer FOC.
I have to say that their customer service is very good

Certainly laser for every day printing. Cheap and almost free from any maintenance. I have a not too expensive Samsung BW and it is still on first cartridge after 4 years and over 700 pages printed.
The word is they are not great for photos so an occasional order online or a separate photo printer like canon 10S would be a way forward.

Got the TS8150. Really pleased so far. Haven't printed lots of pics yet, but pleased with what has come out so far. Extremely simple to set up and using it on a mac, windows and direct from ipad/iphone. even the 'test' ink lasted longer than I thought!

FWIW

In my last job I needed to print out stuff daily for having to hand account notes when visiting customers. I ruined (they died on me) two inkjet printers invert short periods of time.

I then bought as an emergency purchase an HP mono laser printer for I think £79 now something like > 40,000 pages and more than 7 years old it is still churning out the pages.....only needs toner carts but fewer now I used to need :)

Mrs Nod has a Canon 4610 (IIRC!) all-in-one for basic colour printing and all scanning and I do any larger stuff on my Canon Pro 100. I also do larger runs of plain black text on a Samsung laser printer. Now on its 3rd toner cart after a few thousand prints. Not very good for photos but great for cheap(er than inkjet) text.

Back