1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Okay Guest, it's coming up to the festive season. If you'd like to take part in this year's Secret Santa gift exchange, click the link below and speak to our resident Jolly Red Guy.

Dismiss Notice
  1. SsSsSsSsSnake

SsSsSsSsSnake

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Agree with you here Jon,my 1st thought with my d3300 was i must get the 35mm for it like ive always done ,its a good lens and has many recommendations but ive decided this time im not going down that road and i have the 18-55mm afp vr and am going to get the 70-300 afp vr and thats it.

jonbeeza likes this.
  2. Orangecroc

Orangecroc

Name:
    Ben
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    You could always have a go with free software before paying for LR, something like rawtherapee is a good place to start.

SsSsSsSsSnake likes this.
  3. SsSsSsSsSnake

SsSsSsSsSnake

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Yes im never going to spend big money (for me) again.this camera is enough and i will use it till it falls apart :plus1:

trevorbray, jonbeeza and Al1944 like this.
  4. SsSsSsSsSnake

SsSsSsSsSnake

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Nick you can download a free trial of LR that has full use for a month,then afterwards you can still use the basic editing and catologuing etc until you decide what you want to do.
    By the way there are plenty of free pdf books for and lots of great youtube vids to teach you

5. SsSsSsSsSnake

SsSsSsSsSnake

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    this is one taken a few d3300's ago with the 18-55 vrii
    [​IMG]Snowy by Chris Andrew, on Flickr

jonbeeza likes this.
  6. SsSsSsSsSnake

SsSsSsSsSnake

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    when I look at this which was taken from Flikr ,its not half as good as the one in my Photos App on the Mac,
    do flicker compress it or something,I had to check it was the same photo, the face for example is really lovely and white on the original. hmm
    ,also the eyes don't look so sharp either

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  7. SsSsSsSsSnake

SsSsSsSsSnake

Edit My Images:
    Yes
  8. nick16

nick16

Edit My Images:
    No
    I did download the months free trial and then never used it.
    Never even opened the programme. How stupid am i!

9. SsSsSsSsSnake

SsSsSsSsSnake

Edit My Images:
    Yes
  10. SsSsSsSsSnake

SsSsSsSsSnake

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    jonbeeza likes this.
  11. SsSsSsSsSnake

SsSsSsSsSnake

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    You can download another,I do it all the time

12. jonbeeza

jonbeeza

Name:
    john
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Just not long finished eating and just washed our POTS ( lol) , now back to trawling and seeing if I can add anything of interest.

13. SsSsSsSsSnake

SsSsSsSsSnake

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    your a well trained husband lol

jonbeeza likes this.
  14. SsSsSsSsSnake

SsSsSsSsSnake

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  15. Orangecroc

Orangecroc

Name:
    Ben
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Ah, since asking that question I have discovered tamron USD and sigma HSM lenses are the ones that work with these bodies for AF.

16. SsSsSsSsSnake

SsSsSsSsSnake

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Omg how have i missed the new Nikon 10-22mm,this is going to be a very useful lens at a great price.on my xmas list

17. jonbeeza

jonbeeza

Name:
    john
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I had the Sigma 10-20mm that I used on my old bodies, D60 and D80. I found the images a little too distorted at times, but great for beach shots with fluffy white clouds stretching far into the distance. I also found the lens too heavy, I soon sold it on, as I had too much money tied up in it. I can't even remember what I did with the money, probably gave most of it to the missus. :)

18. Sweetpea1981

Sweetpea1981

Edit My Images:
    No
    Hi I'm new here so apologies if I'm posting in the wrong place, but I need some lens advice for my Nikon D5500. I'm starting to do weddings and did my last one with 2 D5500, a Nikon 35mm (my favourite lens which I tend to probably over use because it's so sharp and great in low light) and my Sigma 18-200 (which is not so great in low light, soft round the edges and causes really noticeable barrelling in the photos). I'm looking to get a 70-200mm lens to use when I don't need something so wide angle. Which lens is best? I know the d5500 is a cropped sensor, so should I factor that in when looking at lenses and go for a different lens that will offer the equivalent of 70-200? I want something that's going to be sharp, good in low light, fast (I missed some shots because my 18-200 was so slow focusing) and has a decent zoom. Thanks in advance!

jonbeeza and SsSsSsSsSnake like this.
  19. GrahamT

GrahamT

Name:
    Graham
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    My first DSLR was the D40, still got it. I am always surprised just how good the images are from it. I then got the D3300 which I still use occasionally and again, the image quality and low light capability are superb as is the kit lens that came with it. Great cameras.

20. SsSsSsSsSnake

SsSsSsSsSnake

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    right place ,welcome.
    the FF Nikon 24-70 2.8 would be good (not cheap)in low light and be a good FL equiv 35mm terms 36-105mm .there may be a non Nikon lens which might have a 2.8 and a bit longer, otherwise the 70-200 2.8 Nikon VR,but not cheap

Sweetpea1981 likes this.
  21. SsSsSsSsSnake

SsSsSsSsSnake

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    the Nikon is much lighter apparently with good sharpness and not too bad distortion at widest,PP sort that.

jonbeeza likes this.
  22. nick16

nick16

Edit My Images:
    No
    have a look at the sigma 70-200 series. Very capable and whilst you are finding your feet as a wedding tog it will be great.

Sweetpea1981 likes this.
  23. jonbeeza

jonbeeza

Name:
    john
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Been out with the D3300 this morning with the 35mm fitted.

[​IMG]

The D3300 with the kit lens fitted, is not that much bigger than some bulky compacts. In some cases the D3300 may be smaller. I have added a wrist strap to mine, and I am treating it as a bulky compact with a great sensor, at very low cost. :)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  24. SsSsSsSsSnake

SsSsSsSsSnake

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Agreed and i use wrist strap too and its light to me.

GrahamT and jonbeeza like this.
  25. jonbeeza

jonbeeza

Name:
    john
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I took some photos of the plants in our front garden for the missus, as she can't get access to the bottom of the steps. I had the 35mm fitted to the D3300, but I could not get all the flowers in that she wanted to see. So I had to stick on the 18-55 kit lens and I managed to get everything in frame. Shot in Raw and a little tweak of saturation and contrast, missus was pleased with the results.

26. jonbeeza

jonbeeza

Name:
    john
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    This thread seems to be coming along nicely. But surely there is more than just a handful of us on here, who own the lower end models?

27. GrahamT

GrahamT

Name:
    Graham
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    This shot of my beloved late chocolate Lab named Ben was taken with the Nikon D40 with the 55-200 non VR lens. Must admit I am struggling to find any of my old images from the D40 and the D3300 maybe it's time I dusted them down and started using them again.

[​IMG]Ben by Graham Thompson

SsSsSsSsSnake and jonbeeza like this.
  28. jonbeeza

jonbeeza

Name:
    john
    Edit My Images:
    Yes

What a sad looking face :) . I can't get my dog to keep still long enough, she always runs when I get the camera out.

SsSsSsSsSnake and GrahamT like this.
  29. GrahamT

GrahamT

Name:
    Graham
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I think he preferred 'distinguished' looking lol. He really was the gentlest soul sadly missed but we have so many happy memories of him.

30. Doc

Doc

Name:
    John
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    D5500 with sigma 17-70mm:-

[​IMG]

jonbeeza, SsSsSsSsSnake and GrahamT like this.
  31. SsSsSsSsSnake

SsSsSsSsSnake

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Nice shots guys ,keep em coming ,as many as you like

32. jonbeeza

jonbeeza

Name:
    john
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I was messing about with the D3300 and kit lens, shooting in RAW. Amazed at how much I could claw back, lifting shadows adjusting exposure and WB. Pretty pleased with the final results, only let down by poor composition. Not even worthy of posting them on here.

33. SsSsSsSsSnake

SsSsSsSsSnake

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    You should,I do,gives a marker for improvement for me

adriano.nocenzi and jonbeeza like this.
  34. jonbeeza

jonbeeza

Name:
    john
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Will post a photo or two if they are half decent.

The Fuji X10 won over the D3300 this morning, only because the X10 was on the table near me. I wonder if I should pop over to the Fuji X thread, it is still going strong.

35. SsSsSsSsSnake

SsSsSsSsSnake

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    feel free to hop overs nearly bought that X30 earlier but thought, no need I'm going to carry the d3300 with me in a bag always :)

36. jonbeeza

jonbeeza

Name:
    john
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I did have a nose at that X30, not to buy just to nosey.
    I am pretty well covered at the moment, with a choice of the X10 and the D3300. Also the tiny little ixus I recently bought, slips into a shirt or jeans pocket and forget it is there.

37. SsSsSsSsSnake

SsSsSsSsSnake

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Viewing on my Mac that is a very nice shot

GrahamT likes this.
  38. SsSsSsSsSnake

SsSsSsSsSnake

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    yes I have an Ixus 115 but as I said shall carry my camera bag now, cant get it in my shirt pocket though lol

jonbeeza likes this.
  39. Kingo46

Kingo46

Name:
    John
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    here's one I took the other day with the D3100
    [​IMG]

40. Dashing

Dashing

Name:
    Richard
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I use the D3300. I'm in love with it, partnered up with my new Aztec print neck strap.

I've only been shooting as a hobby for a few months so I'm sure I'd like to upgrade my body at some point.. but for now I'm ok.

One from our last trip to Malmö, Sweden..

IMG_0717.JPG

GrahamT and SsSsSsSsSnake like this.