All weather trousers?

woof woof

I like a nice Chianti
Name
Alan
Edit My Images
No
I bought some cargo trousers from Debenhams some time back and I liked them as they had lots of pockets and in the summer I can unzip the lower legs. Smashing :D They didn't wear too well though so I was a bit disappointed but I still went back and bought some more but although these new ones look the same (actually they seem a bit lighter so maybe that's a clue) something seems different as water just goes straight through them whereas the older ones offered better protection. I assume they've changed the make up somehow, maybe they're made in a different factory in a different country for all I know or maybe they used to spray them with something and have stopped. I'm just guessing, I don't know what's changed but something has. Anyway, after ending up with soaked trousers twice recently I'm going to give up on these and try something else.

All I want is lots of pockets and the ability to unzip the lower leg would be nice too. I don't expect them to be completely waterproof but just offer some degree of protection without looking overly outdoorsy, if that makes sense :D

Any recommendations?

Last edited:
Thinking about it I can only remember unzipping these a couple of times so it's a feature I'd like but I can probably live without.

Love my Berghaus Men's Navigators2.0 they come with or without sip off's.

I wear these in summer and winter for hiking and photography.
They're windproof and water repellent.
They don't have cargo type pockets on the legs though. They have 2 standard pockets, a rear pocket and there are 2 vent type pockets on the legs which can be used as pockets for keys/glasses etc or left open as vents.
Have just bought another pair. Last pair are 5 years old and still going strong.

I bought my last pair from here....

Last edited:
I have Craghoppers too.

Comfortable, weather protection, lots of pockets....

Yep, Kiwi Pro are great. Kiwi Amateur less so :)

If you want something tough for everyday wear that will stand up to life then take a look at 511. I've had something that looks like their Stryke pants for several years and they are still in very good shape. As (genuinely) used by EMS and military.

Just checked and they make something they call the Capital pants - perfect for, erm, upholding democracy :D

Thanks guys.

I'll be googling these recommendations today :D It's interesting that some of these are cheaper than the later ones I got from Debenhams. Shame the newer ones seem to be less weather resistant.

Have a look at revolution race online.
I have several pairs from them and they are very good quality. They have different styles including zip offs.

I absolutely love my Fjallraven Vidda Pros they're not cheap but I've yet to find anything better for wildlife photography, double layed on the seat and knees and also waxable for waterproofing.

A pair of the ventilated version would be perfect for you.

Last edited:
Craghoppers as above. twin hip pockets, zipper and open pocket over the top. Nice and comfy, zip off legs. Go outdoors on Portrack!

I'm a bit busy in and out of the room today but as soon as I have time I'll research this lot :D

PS.
What's "Portrack"?

Last edited:
Rohan. They have a sale on at the moment too. Not cheap but they last for years.

I have had quite a few pairs of Craghoppers over the years but i always find they wear / fade on the knees,
So i am trying out a pair of Peter Storm walking trousers and they have been fine so far (3 months)

Think all have been mentioned but Craghoppers, Rohan and Revolution Race. I have all but think I prefer the Craghoppers but Rohan’s fir winter

I also have lots of fjallraven trousers (they are all I wear daily as well as the revolution race) but, yes they are very expensive.

Do you have the vida pro trousers?
Yep, got about 5 or 6 pairs of those, also some old Foresters, which they don't make any more and a couple of pairs of Barents.
Also got a Fjallraven Canada woollen shirt and a Granit shirt which are awesome in the winter

Whist its all very expensive, they have all lasted years. I used to wear craghoppers trousers for work, and they lasted a year at most. Ive had this Fjallraven stuff for years and wear it everyday and most of it still looks like new.

I have a pair of these. Tough as old boots, strech panels in the knee and butt, loads of pockets air vents around the knees, theyre not cheap but i get the feeling that they will last a long time.

Yep, got about 5 or 6 pairs of those, also some old Foresters, which they don't make any more and a couple of pairs of Barents.
Also got a Fjallraven Canada woollen shirt and a Granit shirt which are awesome in the winter

Whist its all very expensive, they have all lasted years. I used to wear craghoppers trousers for work, and they lasted a year at most. Ive had this Fjallraven stuff for years and wear it everyday and most of it still looks like new.
I was thinking about a pair, but they were a bit on the long side.
Wasn't sure if they'd be too heavy for hiking?
What do you use yours for activity wise?

I like the thinnest pants I can get for hiking nothing worse than thick heavy pants.
Like the look of those 5.11 ones but they look really heavy.

O
I was thinking about a pair, but they were a bit on the long side.
Wasn't sure if they'd be too heavy for hiking?
What do you use yours for activity wise?

I literally wear them for everything all day everyday They aren't heavy at all. I trapse around the forest all day without issue. Best to wax them if you want them weatherproof. I have some waxed and some not.

I have short legs and they aren't long on me. Plus they have elasticated cuffs on the legs too.

I have had quite a few pairs of Craghoppers over the years but i always find they wear / fade on the knees,
So i am trying out a pair of Peter Storm walking trousers and they have been fine so far (3 months)

A bit of fading might be ok but the ones I'm wearing at the mo have started to disintegrate. I maybe shouldn't have bought more :D

O

I literally wear them for everything all day everyday They aren't heavy at all. I trapse around the forest all day without issue. Best to wax them if you want them weatherproof. I have some waxed and some not.

I have short legs and they aren't long on me. Plus they have elasticated cuffs on the legs too.

I don't think that weight will be a problem but having said that we're all getting older by the day :D

Thanks all.

I haven't had much time to look at all the suggestions as I've been busy on and off all day but I hope to have time over the weekend.

I like the thinnest pants I can get for hiking nothing worse than thick heavy pants.
Like the look of those 5.11 ones but they look really heavy.

Yes. I'd probably advise against them for hiking. Tough for all day every day wear especially if you need to kneel down a lot. But IMO a bit heavy for hiking - Kiwi Pro for that for me.

Yes. I'd probably advise against them for hiking. Tough for all day every day wear especially if you need to kneel down a lot. But IMO a bit heavy for hiking - Kiwi Pro for that for me.
Would be good for photography though?
Sitting/,kneeling etc....

I wear dickies blue work trousers they are very hard wearing and can put in soft knee pads which helps my knees as I’m kneeling down a lot for macro photography
If it looks like rain just pop on waterproof over trousers
They have loads of zip up pockets and are pretty much indestructible

Exactly. I originally bought them when I was doing lots of nursery photography. Mine have internal removable knee pads and they were fantastic for that. The side pockets also have inner elastic which is probably designed for magazines but good flash guns perfectly.

I'm usually amazed at how heavy they are when I take them off due to the enormous amount of stuff I put in the pockets :)

I tend to go for walks in the woods, hills and at the beach so the trousers need to withstand the usual weather plus me kneeling in or leaning up against stuff. As we do.

Back