Allan.H 52 2020 WEEK 52 DECOR(ATE) added

Name
Allan
Edit My Images
No
:wave:

1. Local, an old disused railway line which runs from Chester to Connahs Quay which is right out side my door
001 week 1 local by Allan Howe, on Flick

2. Pleasure, The same railway line as above, Me and the dog enjoying a walk, taken the same day
002 week 2 pleasure by Allan Howe, on Flickr

3. Tool, maybe a little controversial but I think its a tool of the church
003 week 3 tool by Allan Howe, on Flickr

All taken roughly in the week of the theme announcement

Last edited:
Heya Allan,
Torn between Local and Snappers Choice.
I like the use of the fence post and subsequent blur along the path, I also like the shallow DoF on Holly + the absolutely sharp eyes.
I think they are the standouts for me from your first 6.

Heya Allan,
Torn between Local and Snappers Choice.
I like the use of the fence post and subsequent blur along the path, I also like the shallow DoF on Holly + the absolutely sharp eyes.
I think they are the standouts for me from your first 6.

Thanks Tim

Hi Allan

Good to see you back great set of images so far.I really like Winter.

Nice catch up.
Nice shaped bottle and colours in your book title which I guess is Alice in Wonderland.
I like the horizontal lines in Transport.
A nice weathered fence post in Fence.

Nice catch up.
Nice shaped bottle and colours in your book title which I guess is Alice in Wonderland.
I like the horizontal lines in Transport.
A nice weathered fence post in Fence.
Thank you Clive

Three good shots.. I particularly like the Fence shot... it has the atmosphere of how things are for us all at the moment.

That's a brilliant catch up Allan (y)

Week 8 was ability but no matter it still Fits well spotted and captured.

May favourite of the bunch, a nice clean image and slots right in (y)
I did mean ability :facepalm:
I blame it on my education
Thanks for looking in (y)

mmmmmm thats a gorgeous shot. can you let me in to the setup secrets?

Hey Allan.
  • Book - Now this is the Allan style that we know and love. Simple, to the point and exquisitely executed.
  • Transport - Dunno, not for me. Technique wise it's great, you have the fore, middle and distant interest, you have the action of the birds and the tractor is on the third, but somehow it doesn't say anything to me (of course, that's just me).
  • Fence - Less is more. This works better for me than transport because it draws the eye far more. You rest on the post and then can expore the shot rather than having your senses assaulted (iyswim).
  • Broken - This works for me in the same way that Fence does. Your eye is immediately drawn (maybe I've just got simple tastes).
  • Agility - Gotta love the way those overgrown rats have the ability to get anywhere. Nice cheeky action shot.
  • Winter - Another traditional Allan style shot. Excellent, nothing more to say really.
  • Flora - Lovely colour matching. I was thinking set up indoors with a orange/green background thrown oof using zoom, but looking at the exif, no. (I guess this is something you can do with macro lenses? Not having one, I don't know).

A great perspective on flora Allan nice and bright, well processed too (y)

That dandelion is really lovely. I'd put that on the wall.

I really like the lighting in your book - and it's the first book I've actually recognised!! Colours and composition are really nice.

Welcome back, Allan. Great set of catch-up shots and they are all to your excellent standard. Fence and Broken really stand-out for me. Less is more.

Love your approach to Flora, a different viewpoint.
Thanks Stan, Didn't think Id be doing this again this year strange times indeed. Fence and broken are probably my favourites too.
I have been doing a lot of flower pictures recently and sometimes the back of flowers are just as interesting as the face

That dandelion is really lovely. I'd put that on the wall.

I really like the lighting in your book - and it's the first book I've actually recognised!! Colours and composition are really nice.
Thank you, very nice of you say, The light on Book was just light through the kitchen window as was Flora,
most of my indoor shots are taken in the kitchen its the only decent light in the house.

mmmmmm thats a gorgeous shot. can you let me in to the setup secrets?
Hey Allan.
  • Book - Now this is the Allan style that we know and love. Simple, to the point and exquisitely executed.
  • Transport - Dunno, not for me. Technique wise it's great, you have the fore, middle and distant interest, you have the action of the birds and the tractor is on the third, but somehow it doesn't say anything to me (of course, that's just me).
  • Fence - Less is more. This works better for me than transport because it draws the eye far more. You rest on the post and then can expore the shot rather than having your senses assaulted (iyswim).
  • Broken - This works for me in the same way that Fence does. Your eye is immediately drawn (maybe I've just got simple tastes).
  • Agility - Gotta love the way those overgrown rats have the ability to get anywhere. Nice cheeky action shot.
  • Winter - Another traditional Allan style shot. Excellent, nothing more to say really.
  • Flora - Lovely colour matching. I was thinking set up indoors with a orange/green background thrown oof using zoom, but looking at the exif, no. (I guess this is something you can do with macro lenses? Not having one, I don't know).
Thanks Rob and Elsie

Will try and explain Flora, the BG in the original is fairly irrelevant something neutral, a light grey will do.
It's then just a straight shot of the dandelion processed in Capture one but only concentrating on the dandelion.
imported it into PS then I added a textured BG to it, you are not replacing the BG just adding to it and brushing out the bits you don't want
there where two layers at different opacities, the colourful layer at about 40% was erased using the clear brush on the flower at 100%
and the textured layer at about 5% was erased with the clear brush at 50%
When you are happy flatten the image and save.

Thats as clear as mud isn't it. o_O

So Tim any lens would work I don't know what lenses you have, anything you can get fairly close will work the 55-200 would work I think or maybe the 18-55.

I used the Fuji 60mm macro which isn't really a macro but for close up work like this I find it to be perfect, its a bit slow to focus sometimes but I'm not exactly in a hurry.
I picked it up for £180 on eBay it would do decent portraits too but maybe not in a cosplay convention as I think it would take a while at times to focus in the light available.
If you can get one cheap enough it's a handy lens to own.

Thanks Rob and Elsie

Will try and explain Flora, the BG in the original is fairly irrelevant something neutral, a light grey will do.
It's then just a straight shot of the dandelion processed in Capture one but only concentrating on the dandelion.
imported it into PS then I added a textured BG to it, you are not replacing the BG just adding to it and brushing out the bits you don't want
there where two layers at different opacities, the colourful layer at about 40% was erased using the clear brush on the flower at 100%
and the textured layer at about 5% was erased with the clear brush at 50%
When you are happy flatten the image and save.

Thats as clear as mud isn't it. o_O

So Tim any lens would work I don't know what lenses you have, anything you can get fairly close will work the 55-200 would work I think or maybe the 18-55.

I used the Fuji 60mm macro which isn't really a macro but for close up work like this I find it to be perfect, its a bit slow to focus sometimes but I'm not exactly in a hurry.
I picked it up for £180 on eBay it would do decent portraits too but maybe not in a cosplay convention as I think it would take a while at times to focus in the light available.
If you can get one cheap enough it's a handy lens to own.
makes sense, have done that sort of processing in the past but usually to the whole image to "grunge" it up

Ah, I understand how you did it now.
I was thinking it was done in camera using the compression effects you can get using a long telephoto up close.

makes sense, have done that sort of processing in the past but usually to the whole image to "grunge" it up
Ah, I understand how you did it now.
I was thinking it was done in camera using the compression effects you can get using a long telephoto up close.
Well I am surprised you both understood that explanation,
could you explain it to me now :ROFLMAO:

Back