Allan.H TP52 2017 WEEK 52 WEATHER ADDED

Hurrah you're back ....I didn't notice, I must pay more attention!

You ...you don't get much more specific than that, excellent idea.
Arch ...love the composition the way those arches fade into the distance
Display ...well that's certainly different, very unusual ...the cat and the baboon!
Wood ...top notch processing, I love it.
Wall ... smashing dappled shade along that walkway
Ooops I missed Occupation...interesting take on theme, it works really well, I like the triptych

Last edited:
Thanks Susie I snook back in :cautious:

Thanks for the catch up, I never expected anyone to go so far back :)

Bent, what a simple and effective idea Allan. B&W works well too

Wood, again the B&W adds a lot tho the atmosphere. They've lost their leaves early and the bright light shows the detail well.

Bent, what a simple and effective idea Allan. B&W works well too

Wood, again the B&W adds a lot tho the atmosphere. They've lost their leaves early and the bright light shows the detail well.
Thanks for looking in

Bent; simple and very apt for the theme.

Wood; good idea to use black and white for the shot. However, I find the contrast a bit strong resulted in halos in the tree trunks.

Wall; like the straight-on viewpoint.

Thanks Stan, its not halos more the light hitting the back of the trees, it does make it very contrasty though

You-very clever idea and well shot
Arch - one of the best shots in this years 52 IMHO...LOVE IT
display - quite freaky but interesting none the less
Bent -yep, that is
Wood-likeing the b/w , works well

You-very clever idea and well shot
Arch - one of the best shots in this years 52 IMHO...LOVE IT
display - quite freaky but interesting none the less
Bent -yep, that is
Wood-likeing the b/w , works well
Thank you

Hey Allan :)

Somehow missed your 'You' image, what a great idea, very simple but extremely effective, like it !! :)

Bent - Another cool idea, I wish I had thought of it !! - Liking the simplicity again, the portrait crop and the vignette focusing my eye, nice one (y)

Wood - Interesting highlights on the twigs, is that an effect or just very strong light ?? either way a good choice for the theme :)

Hey Allan :)

Somehow missed your 'You' image, what a great idea, very simple but extremely effective, like it !! :)

Bent - Another cool idea, I wish I had thought of it !! - Liking the simplicity again, the portrait crop and the vignette focusing my eye, nice one (y)

Wood - Interesting highlights on the twigs, is that an effect or just very strong light ?? either way a good choice for the theme :)

Very srong light, thanks for looking

Poignant image for symmetrical with good light picking out the details on the headstones

Poignant image for symmetrical with good light picking out the details on the headstones
Lucky with the light storm Brian hit about half an hour afterwards, thanks for looking in

Very nicely done for the theme Allan, you've caught the light and really lined that up beautifully ... such young lives, very sad.

Thanks Susie, a lot of the graves are people in their early 20s, very sad indeed

A well taken shot Allan, good idea for the theme too

The fingerprint ... top idea for You, very nicely done. (y)

Bent ... yeah that works. They're not good with road markings up north are they? looks like water based paint, anyway, liking the vignette.

Wood ... works well, nice processing.

Wall ... says fence to me. ;)

The gravestones ... excellent idea, colour, detail and symmetry. :clap:

The fingerprint ... top idea for You, very nicely done. (y)

Bent ... yeah that works. They're not good with road markings up north are they? looks like water based paint, anyway, liking the vignette.

Wood ... works well, nice processing.

Wall ... says fence to me. ;)

"top idea for You, very nicely done. (y)"

Thanks I think :p

"Bent ... yeah that works. They're not good with road markings up north are they? looks like water based paint, anyway, liking the vignette."

We do all our road markings in poster paint :cool:

"Wall ... says fence to me."

City walls d00d to keep out the southerners with their dodgy paint

The gravestones ... excellent idea, colour, detail and symmetry. :clap:

Thanks David and thanks for amusing me

Nice shot for worn Allan

Last edited:
Hi, warn, nice contrast between the plant and the wood. Nice detail and sharp. A little under expose and the flat light didn't help.

Great POV, though.

Regards.

Hi, warn, nice contrast between the plant and the wood. Nice detail and sharp. A little under expose and the flat light didn't help.

Great POV, though.

Regards.
Thank you, the light was very flat and I did desaturate it quite a bit, maybe not the best idea

Hi Allan,

Arch - Agree that there are plenty of arches, yet somehow it doesn't work for me for the theme. Possibly because there is so much going on that they take a back seat to the overall image? I like the lighting and the starburst that you've captured and the clever use of god rays in a god based location :)

Display - I so want to believe that the cat has just snuck into that case to take a nap. What's that all about? And why is it below a pulpit?
I didn't realise the figure was a baboon but once mentioned I can see it.

Bent - Bang on, simple, to the point. The mono processing suits it.
I think this is my favourite of my comment catchup on your thread.

Wood - Spot on theme again, but I can't help feeling more is less as I don't get a feel of a focal point in the image, just an overall wooden impression.

Wall - A bit too dark for me (though I've only calibrated the screen using the windows 10 inbuilt calibration tool).
Good use of leading lines. I've only been to chester once, and that was very recently for work, Didn't get a chance to look at the walls, we didn't get far from the canal and railway (and offices).

Symmetrical - Very nicely done. Not only on theme for the challenge, but appropriate for this time of year too.

Worn - I think that you've got the saturation about right. Too much vibrancy in an image like that would look plain odd, but this looks natural.

Hi Allan,

Arch - Agree that there are plenty of arches, yet somehow it doesn't work for me for the theme. Possibly because there is so much going on that they take a back seat to the overall image? I like the lighting and the starburst that you've captured and the clever use of god rays in a god based location :)

Display - I so want to believe that the cat has just snuck into that case to take a nap. What's that all about? And why is it below a pulpit?
I didn't realise the figure was a baboon but once mentioned I can see it.

Bent - Bang on, simple, to the point. The mono processing suits it.
I think this is my favourite of my comment catchup on your thread.

Wood - Spot on theme again, but I can't help feeling more is less as I don't get a feel of a focal point in the image, just an overall wooden impression.

Wall - A bit too dark for me (though I've only calibrated the screen using the windows 10 inbuilt calibration tool).
Good use of leading lines. I've only been to chester once, and that was very recently for work, Didn't get a chance to look at the walls, we didn't get far from the canal and railway (and offices).

Symmetrical - Very nicely done. Not only on theme for the challenge, but appropriate for this time of year too.

Worn - I think that you've got the saturation about right. Too much vibrancy in an image like that would look plain odd, but this looks natural.

Thanks for the mega catchup,
to answer the question about the cat and baboon its was part of an art display in the Cathedral they are two separate pieces.
The cat (by a taxidermist Emily Mayer) and the baboon (Michael Cooper) were both in the Consistory court they just looked odd together,

Worn leaves (pardon the pun) me wondering what the oak leaves are doing there. I think they do make a reasonably good foil for the worn wood behind and I think I the edges of the leaves on the turn makes a sort of reference to the theme.. I'm probably just over-thinking it

Worn leaves (pardon the pun) me wondering what the oak leaves are doing there. I think they do make a reasonably good foil for the worn wood behind and I think I the edges of the leaves on the turn makes a sort of reference to the theme.. I'm probably just over-thinking it

Thats a good question, the worn table top was the first thing that I saw and thought would fit the theme but on taking the photo it was a little bland, nice texture but lacking a focal point,

I tried a pot of winter pansies which I liked the juxtaposition of the perfect against the worn wood but thought everyone would think it was about the pansies as they were very bright in the image and not at all worn,

found the oak leaves while out walking the dogs and they were a little worn which seemed to fit, so basically they are there to break up the BG

If that makes any sense.. its probably me overthinking things to be honest

May be a few other leaves or bits of twig scatterd across the table top to make it look they had blown there on a windy day would do it? Anyway it works as it is and I can see that the table on its own would need something.

It's got the thirds, it's got contrasting textures ... I like.

Back