Almost!

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
Another record shot!

I have been having this GSW coming to the garden for a couple of weeks now and the ************** will only land on the feeders or workshop roof, although, I had glimpses of him and managed to catch a couple of pics in a neighbours tree, which I have already posted.

Yesterday evening I thought I would try and catch it in-flight and watched it's movements for a few hours, the behaviour was erratic to say the least. Anyway I managed to get an "almost" when he dived from the tree and came in behind the workshop. Poor lighting at the time, along with shooting through back door glass and the composition is not what I hoped for, but it's a start. I take my hat of to you guys/girls who manage to get BIF pics with birds like these.

Until next time...........................

Diving Woodpecker by First NameSimon Rees, on Flickr

I'm impressed Simon, #1 it comes down into your garden, ours round my way I have only seen it once come down to the raspberries and never seen it since.

#2 to actually catch it in flight you can only get better from here so massive (y)

Thanks Bryn,

Until now, I have seen the bird three times this year, when it's landed on my fence and flown by the time I have got the camera. Over the last week or so it's been feeding from 05.10am (been up early with man - flu) through to 8.40 pm. I pressume it's feeding some chicks, as basically its around at all times throughout the day feeding, it was just here when I had my lunch. It's been dining on sunflower seeds, peanuts and fat balls.

I have managed to get loads of photos, but they have been on the feeders or workshop roof so not ideal. The two I managed in the trees, earlier posted, were big crops so I am trying another tactic with BIF. May make a change if I nail it and it's not the standard banging it's head at a tree trunk. Wishful thinking probably though!

Another thought, maybe I'm getting more than one bird if they are feeding so often?

Back