'Alone With His Thoughts--- '

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
Yes
A 94 year old Veteran of the Arctic Convoys WWII joined the annual Brentwood Remembrance Day Parade on Sunday Nov ember 10th . He marched in the middle rank just behind me and made it from the Council Offices all the way to the war Memorial when he had to 'fall out' and sit in his wheelchair for the Service of Remembrance. I felt quite a 'Youngster' at 82 and hope I can make 94 as I see my Cancer Surgeon today for results of a 'PET' scan at Southend Hospital. I used my Olympus mju 760 which I won in a Photo Contest and David Bailey presented it to me.

Alone With His Thoughts by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

I find this quite an emotive portrait. It won't be long before this sort of image will not be possible any more. At 94, he was just 20 when WWII finished. What have those eyes seen....?

I hope all goes well for you today Peter.

Best wishes, Peter.

PS David Bailey? Who's he? ;)

Last edited:
A 94 year old Veteran of the Arctic Convoys WWII joined the annual Brentwood Remembrance Day Parade on Sunday Nov ember 10th . He marched in the middle rank just behind me and made it from the Council Offices all the way to the war Memorial when he had to 'fall out' and sit in his wheelchair for the Service of Remembrance. I felt quite a 'Youngster' at 82 and hope I can make 94 as I see my Cancer Surgeon today for results of a 'PET' scan at Southend Hospital. I used my Olympus mju 760 which I won in a Photo Contest and David Bailey presented it to me.

Alone With His Thoughts by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

When I was serving my electrical apprenticeship in Falmouth Docks between 1962 and 1967 I got to know a number of men, both RN and MN, who had done trips on the Arctic convoys. If his experiences were anything like theirs his thoughts will be far from pleasant ones.

There are 'Lesions' on my Liver --- I have to meet Oncologist and discuss Chemo ---

Really sorry to hear that Peter.

Good luck peter.... i’m sure your subject here would point out that there are many different battles to be faced, but which can be won! My mother has just undergone her own chemo, and found that it wasn’t as bad as she (and we) feared.

As for your shot, I really like the way you’ve captured the emotion. Makes me think I should get a few similar shots of my own grandfather while I still can - 98, another wwii veteran and still going strong.

Thanks for sharing

Back