Alpe Di Siusi/Seiser Alm

Name
Craig
Edit My Images
Yes
I will be back to this location, but actually slightly further in and to the left for what I feel would be better compositions and arrangements of the foreground huts.

This was my only crack at sunset from this location and this trip, and whilst as above I think there are better shots to be had, and the sky was plain, experiencing the Alpenglow was something else.

The sun literally dipped below the mountains in the west/north west, and the subject mountains were fully in the shade. Then as the high level cloud cover started to illuminate and colour up, the light was reflected onto the peaks in front of me and they glowed for a few seconds. Loved it.

sass (2 of 4).jpgsass (4 of 4).jpg

the light was reflected onto the peaks in front of me and they glowed for a few seconds. Loved it.

I strongly doubt that could be a probable explanation. I bet if you were on the peaks you would have seen the setting sun through the gap. It is a signature direct low sun look.

I strongly doubt that could be a probable explanation. I bet if you were on the peaks you would have seen the setting sun through the gap. It is a signature direct low sun look.

Ok, you are more than likely correct. It may have been sneaking up another valley.

From where I was standing it fully looked like no direct light was getting through though.

I experienced the same thing somewhere else a few days later.

I'll check the time of the shots in relation to sunset and with ephemeris.

But the pre dawn glow or post sunset turning mountains red I've seen in the uk. It just wasn't this intense which does look more like direct light in hindsight.

Last edited:
But the pre dawn glow or post sunset turning mountains red I've seen in the uk. It just wasn't this intense which does look more like direct light in hindsight.

Yes, the glow would be more like red-pink and notably it creates shadow-free light. That's not the case here. It's very spectacular and can be very intense when the conditions are right.

It’s how they go at sunset. It’s not an Alpen Glow just lovely evening light to die for.

Unlike @LongLensPhotography my pick is one just for the slightly more intense sunlight on the peak.

I like the clear skies. The mountains so big and interesting and the composition full and tight (but not too tight) to carry it off.

The clarity is breathtaking - give me this over mist, fog and low clouds anyway. When I went the sky was more interesting but the snow had gone and it was a lot hazier. Perhaps early summer is better as this looks just how I like things.

Thanks both, and I totally agree about the light in hindsight. These were taken 6-8 mins before sunset, when I've experienced the glow on mountains before it has been sometimes well after sunset or well before sunrise.

@SFTPhotography , they had recently had snow, and spring was late this year. But I thought it a good time to visit, I plan to go back one October/November when the larches have turned. The reason for the crop in the width was a ski run, which I know you like.

Thanks both, and I totally agree about the light in hindsight. These were taken 6-8 mins before sunset, when I've experienced the glow on mountains before it has been sometimes well after sunset or well before sunrise.

@SFTPhotography , they had recently had snow, and spring was late this year. But I thought it a good time to visit, I plan to go back one October/November when the larches have turned. The reason for the crop in the width was a ski run, which I know you like.

Yep I cropped out the ski run on the left side of the Langkofel - I'd be wary going late October - the grass will be brown - not green and that's massively ugly in my view. This is where it's at. I went in September and ok no snow but lovely lush and green. It was hazier though - I'd have liked a clearer evening like yours.

Back