LongLensPhotography

Th..th..that's all folks!
Name
LongLensPhotography
Edit My Images
No
Another set from my October 2019 road trip. I didn't plan going to Italy this year at all, however it was relatively short detour from by then very wintry looking Bavaria to escape from the rains and it worked out brilliantly.
These ones are from the afternoon of the day 1 in Italy. (I will deal with the morning content another time.)
After a rather hectic attempt to find a highest possible parking spot on the slopes I had a considerable hike up to Alpe di Suisi, or somewhere close... As I was gaining altitude the mist and fog were rising as well. I had around 1:30h until sunset and it was already looking very good.

This is looking the other way with 70-200mm.

Last edited:
The mist kept rising forcing me too to look for the higher ground just as the light was getting better and better

Last edited:
Short distance up the hill I found these old mountain huts. They were just being engulfed by the mist. It was rather difficult choice how much contrast to use in the editing. Opinions would be very welcome.

The mist forced me to go quite far around a clump of trees. This is the next vantage point I could find 20-30min later. After his shot light was completely gone due to rain in the west.

Last edited:
Final ones now. I appreciate this is very image heavy but at this point I am still trying to work out which are the best ones from this shortlist.
I wish this one was with the light of the shot above. I was out of time.

Fog rolling in. 400mm, black and white.

Late into the blue hour. I could finally pull some after glow colour in the mountains, but it wasn't the expected show.

Last edited:
For shots 2 and 3 I really would crop wider losing the bottom trees altogether.

I find the huts (unlike most) a bit of an eyesore when I came here. I'd focus on them and I wouldn't suggest any more contrast at all. First shot of post 6 in this thread works well and of post 4 shot one cropped wider losing the trees and some of the sky top.

For shots 2 and 3 I really would crop wider losing the bottom trees altogether.

I find the huts (unlike most) a bit of an eyesore when I came here. I'd focus on them and I wouldn't suggest any more contrast at all. First shot of post 6 in this thread works well and of post 4 shot one cropped wider losing the trees and some of the sky top.

Personally, I slightly prefer them without the huts too, hence my original choice of location in the first images. If I have to have them it is OK too.
This one is edited with you in mind; I don't why but I do like to have some connection with the ground...

I may as well throw in these two long lens experimental shots, showing the reason for dull sunset. I have no real clue if they work or are instant deletes

and 400mm; the sun was supposed to set right in between the pinnacles

Last edited:
The edit is so much better. I am ok without the ground and the big distant view is what matters here.

You got a brilliant day for these. When I went it was too hazy and that low bank of mist hides all sorts of sins like ski centers, a distant forestry track that narks me etc.

The edit is so much better. I am ok without the ground and the big distant view is what matters here.

You got a brilliant day for these. When I went it was too hazy and that low bank of mist hides all sorts of sins like ski centers, a distant forestry track that narks me etc.

I have to say your old late golden hour shot has some truly special qualities despite some haze. I didn't get to see any of the red light or colour in the clouds, but it was 1000x better than anything Bavaria still had left in store for me.

I have to say your old late golden hour shot has some truly special qualities despite some haze. I didn't get to see any of the red light or colour in the clouds, but it was 1000x better than anything Bavaria still had left in store for me.

Thanks - it's the clarity of these that I am envious of. Still my grass is green which was very important to me. You've taken this further along than where I was. I'll go back one day, hopefully get a less hazy day.

Set 2, shot 2: the way the mountain reflects the shape of the tree is wonderful.

I really like 4 as a nice scene. IT has enough space beneath the trees to give them some grounding and is still balanced at the top of the frame with the clouds.

I agree with Steve on the crop with the mountains floating above the cloud and like what you have posted. But, I would crop from the top too, losing some sky and the distracting cloud top right, making it more letterbox.

the 5th one is superb! Rarely do you see 2 shots in one working harmoniously together like this, superb shot.

Can't stop looking at it, almost looks a little surreal, it really does stop you in your tracks!

100% this. Shot 5th is the nuts, one of my favourites from the Alpe di Suisi that I have ever seen. Normally like you say that break in the mid ground creates 2 photos. But here it really works, the balance of the trees in the foreground, with the relative sizes of the peaks is spot on. Wall hanger for sure.

Back