Alpen Glow on Aiguille du Chardonnet

Not sure how I see this one, even after looking at it several times. The light is superb, the composition fine, and the potential problem of the sky in top lh corner is solved by the long pink cloud. Yet overall it's just a bit flat. Does it need a slight increase in contrast, including in the sky?

. Does it need a slight increase in contrast, including in the sky?

I don't think it does - it was a low contrast scene so there is no deep shadows etc to begin with.

It had more contrast when I initially processed back in October it but it made the lower rocks/hillside at the bottom left third appear too blue so I dialled it back a shade for this version here. I will be the first to admit I don't like masses of contrast in images and frequently find other peoples version of the word punchy overdone and other peoples version of the word flat my ok.

Last edited:
I'd also say it needs a little bit more contrast, or perhaps more importantly a more contrasty anchor point / foreground down the bottom. The real interesting part is on the right side so I'd maybe have some more of that and far less of the left.

Back