Am I attempting the (almost) impossible?! (Dragonflies in flight)

Name
Si
Edit My Images
Yes
Gave this a go last weekend using my trusty D500 / 300F4 PF /1.4x TC combo in cracking light during the middle of the day, admittedly against a busy background over a meadow. AF settings set to AF-C/group (my usual go-to settings for wildlife that moves rapidly) and blocked shot AF response set to 'quick'/subject motion to 'erratic'. Managed to track the Dragonflies OK at a reasonable distance (really struggled close-up when they'd be anything like frame filling, but that's my problem!)

Really struggled with acquiring focus and unusually kept losing focus when previously locked on - Am I asking too much of the AF system?!

I suspect this'd be easier (but still pretty challenging) against a less busy background, which is what I think I'll attempt next time, but interested in how others are managing to get decent Dragonfly in flight shots?

You may have noticed that dragonflies will always/often return to the same perch.

That behavioural habit can help with practicing some DiF photography....,...as opposed to "chasing them in the viewfinder"

This is one of very many I took, quite a few were "almost" there but not quite. I think you probably need to go early morning when perhaps the dragonflies are not so active.

DSC_3976 by Paul, on Flickr

Thanks folks, a couple of lovely shots here and some useful info/tips..

I think I need to try a few things - I was trying to shoot Brown Hawkers over a wildflower meadow in the middle of the day. They were very active and only seemed to come to rest high up in the trees. I'll try earlier in the day to see if I can catch them less active and see what else I can find. I find timing difficult with the takeoff/landing shots, so I think hovering is probably my best bet.

Sadly our nearest nature reserve seems to be pretty much devoid of Dragonflies this year, so I'm having to go further afield which is limiting the number of times I can get out.

Brown hawkers are really twitchy, might be better seeing if you can find something a little slower. Inflight shots are easier of cooler days, the Dragonflies are slower. Might also be worth trying the lens without the tc, the slight bump in focus speed might make all the difference.

Brown hawkers are really twitchy, might be better seeing if you can find something a little slower. Inflight shots are easier of cooler days, the Dragonflies are slower. Might also be worth trying the lens without the tc, the slight bump in focus speed might make all the difference.

Food for thought, thanks. The only issue I find with cooler days is that I don't see too many Dragonflies about!

Well I managed another go today, different species (which seemed much more likely to hover for short periods of time rather than being constantly on the move) and a less busy background over a lake and I think I'm getting there...

Female Common Darter in flight @ Brockholes by Simon Lundbeck, on Flickr

Very well done Si, its not as easy as some folk think :) Keep at it & as said loose the TC mate

Here's my best effort this year

Les :)

U5wqKj8.jpg

Thanks for all the input :)

Back