Amateur Football, charity tournament

Name
urrrm.... Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
So I ended up taking photos for a charity tournament in my local area.
The weather wasn't bad, then it rained but I tried to keep the shutter faster than 1/400th (sometimes 1/1000th)
I took a lot of photos and ended up with 400+ (4 half-length matches) and tried to be ruthless, no ball = no photo. Most have some faces or character but others I liked the action even though they were anonymous.

I'm fairly happy with the results but any feedback and advice to help me improve is welcome.
cheers
MNDA-234 by DizMatt, on Flickr
MNDA-207 by DizMatt, on Flickr
MNDA-149 by DizMatt, on Flickr
4 SAVE!
MNDA-091 by DizMatt, on Flickr
MNDA-042 by DizMatt, on Flickr
MNDA-356 by DizMatt, on Flickr
MNDA-357 by DizMatt, on Flickr
MNDA-371 by DizMatt, on Flickr

Hi Matt. Just wondering what iso you were using? no exif info. 1/400th is way too slow in daylight, but the ones you post seem mostly OK.
With charity matches it usually more about capturing the players rather than exquisite action, but you might have got 'extra' if you'd sat down.
Specifically
1. you cut off the stripy players foot. The action is parallel to you and not easy to capture well.
2. ball almost out of frame, would have been better from lower shooting position. No clutter in the bg, probably one of the 'better' here.
3. Nice, but ss a bit slow (ball blurred). A good effort.
4. A bit past the peak action, but good expression.
5. Backs of both players (one amputated!)
6. Good shot, but again would have been better shot from lower.
7. following from 6., peak action passed.
8. Crop it more, shame about the bg clutter. This is more about the goalie, other player is just a back.

So, for me 6. is the best of the bunch. Hope that's helpful. :)

hi carol, thanks for taking the time to feedback.
1,. yes I missed his foot, just didn't frame it right. I didn't mind as the focus is on the other player but I will try pull out of the action to prevent this in future.
2. thanks, this was quite lucky as there were people on the sideline who shouldn't have been., I think I was level to the pitch but standing up, not sitting
3. and the rains came! I was higher up, but for some reason my shutter speed started to drop (I was on Tv mode, so most likely user error)
4. yes, no action in this, I just liked the emotion as a change of pace
5. i'll aim for faces and action and full people then
6. I should get a chair
7, yes a follow on from 6.
8. I can crop this more but didn't want to drop quality too much. the striker is just foreground for me here. I wouldn't want to exclude him as it sets the scene for me, also, I can't get his front and the goalie!

there were loads more, plus player 'portaits' without any action in them, but I thought the players might like that too.
cheers, will take all that on board

I always try to capture action, faces and avoid cropping bits off (but don't always suceed!)
Mine from a recent charity match. JonJo Shelvey (Swansea City) the most notable player.

very nice.
I have a few more, which might meet your criteria better, but i'll keep your advice in mind on my next opportunity to shoot field sports.
cheers

I remember when I did soccer for the 'Brentwood & Shenfield ARGUS' newspaper ( went BROKE in 1980) in the 1970's and it was all B&W film and if the BALL was not in the photo the Sports writer would CUT OUT a ball from another photo and stick it onto the print with NO ball and it would go to the Letterpress machine which made the blocks for the photos -- Talk about 'PhotoShop ' -------

I remember when I did soccer for the 'Brentwood & Shenfield ARGUS' newspaper ( went BROKE in 1980) in the 1970's and it was all B&W film and if the BALL was not in the photo the Sports writer would CUT OUT a ball from another photo and stick it onto the print with NO ball and it would go to the Letterpress machine which made the blocks for the photos -- Talk about 'PhotoShop ' -------

its still done now..

I'm fairly happy with the results but any feedback and advice to help me improve is welcome.

biggest problem is... too high up.. you need to be lower than the players not higher...

biggest problem is... too high up.. you need to be lower than the players not higher...
hi kipax, thanks.
next time I'll try get on the ground. I wasn't brave enough to sit in the rain that day. hopefully I'll get a chance to give it another go

Kipax is correct. I always shoot football sat down using a small stool and a monopod connected to my camera. But as for my attempts, well that's down to my camera technique but when I do it right the results are there to see. Shooting lower down give the image more impact IMO.

Back