Amazon Kingfisher

I couldn't get anywhere near this bird - all I got was a green blob with a beak and a white and red flash

Well done!

Good work Gerry. I am seriously considering going to Costa Rica either next year or 2020, just need to know when its at its 'quietest' period.

Good work Gerry. I am seriously considering going to Costa Rica either next year or 2020, just need to know when its at its 'quietest' period.

Although I've been there a couple of time I can't speak for the whole of Costa Rica. However the only place I've been that felt crowded was Manuel Antonio NP. It's adjacent to beach resorts and I think many of the visitors are there as a holiday attraction rather than a wildlife destination. At Torteguero there is not a high density of tourist accommodation. It's where I found out why they call it RAIN forest and that was in the dry season. Corcovado is harder to get to and more expensive. It has an even lower density of accommodation over a large area and I doubt that it's ever been anything else but quiet. For Arenal and Cano Negro you would probably stay at or near La Fortuna. It's not a large town but could be busy (but not madly so) in the evening. I've only ever overnighted in the capital, San Jose but I don't think I would want to spend any considerable holiday time there.

Well done. Nicely caught. That's some bell/beak. Interesting info re Costa Rica, especially the last bit.

I'm going back in 2019, first trip was in 2015. More firepower this time, and will probably 'invest' in longer glass as well.

We are staying in Santo Domingo for three nights (near San Jose) to 'acclimatise' to CR and our hotel has an amazing garden. Then to Savegre (for the Quetzal), Carrara NP (coastal pacific), Arenal and La Selva. Early May 2015 was WET!, subsequent years the tour had better weather...

Back