Amazon Trip lens Advice

Name
Alex
Edit My Images
Yes
I am off to Peru in a few months and am looking for some lens advice.

I will be spending around 10 days in the rainforest (Tambopata National Reserve and Bahuaja-Sonene National Park ), which will basically entail a couple of long boat trips where there should be some good photo ops along the banks, some time in the canopy and a lot of trekking around the forest.

Time in Lima, Cusco, the inca trail and Machu Picchu.

I currently own a canon 7d, grip, 24-105MM f/4 L IS USM, Yongnuo YN-568EX Flash Speedlite, 50mm f1,8 and a cheap sigma 70 - 300mm apo macro.

I want to take a half decent telephoto for wildlife, i did intend to hire either a canon 70 - 200 2.8L is and 2x tc or 100 - 400L but have been looking at second hand Sigma 120-400/4,5-5,6 DG APO HSM OS instead as the hire cost is about the same as buying a second hand sigma.

A dedicated macro either Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM or the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8?

Something wide angle, i was about to buy the Tokina AT-X 116 PRO DX II 11-16mm f/2.8 but people may have better/other ideas here.

Although this is not my first rainforest trip this will be my first non work trip with anything but a compact so anyone equipment advice is very welcome.

Thanks

I've been all over with my camera and 99% of the time I use the 24-105. I have a 70-200 + tc, 10-20mm wide and a 50mm on my 7d. You really don't want to be swapping lens in a rain forest due to the potential humidity.

Thanks for the help so far guys, I'm thinking Sigma 120-400/4,5-5,6 DG APO HSM OS (for tree canopy and boat) , Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 (to save costs and its my first macro) and something wide.

Does anyone have experience of the Tokina AT-X 116 PRO DX II 11-16mm f/2.8 or do you think the 10 - 20 sigmas or canon are a better choice, again i might go 2nd hand here to make my budget go further.

As a nature & wildlife professional that leads tour to rainforest, I'll share some of my thoughts:-

- A tele of 400mm is essential for frame-filled wildlife shots, especially shooting from a boat. The Sigma or Canon tele-zooms you've suggested will be flexible and practical.

- Since you're visiting some locations with great vistas also, a wide-angle will come in handy - the 11-16mm is great (since you're using a cropped sensor body) but at a push you can use your 24-105mm at the short end.

- I cannot imagine visiting the Amazon rainforest without a macro lens if you're interested in wildlife, as there are so many subjects that you can work on. Don't forget, you can use it for anything and not just close-up work.

- Do not be concerned about fungus unless you're there for more than a month or so at a time. Clean your equipment when you have the chance and upon return, put your lenses and bodies out somewhere dry (like in a warm airing cupboard) and/or in the open.

- One thing that you must have, is a spare body, and batteries if you have long periods where you have no access to power.

If you have more specific questions, you can drop me a PM or email me (on my website).

Enjoy your trip!

Back