Critique Amber - [Stranger #207] OCF

blakester

Shine On Harvest Moon
Name
Iain
Edit My Images
No
Following my making Lili's portrait [stranger 207] I had a further wander around Cambridge before the light started to fade.

I saw Amber striding along the street in Cambridge looking like a woman on a mission.
I wouldn't usually ask someone if they appeared to be in a rush to get somewhere but thought i would take a chance as I thought Amber was very stylish and had a friendly face!

Happily Amber agreed and luckily we had stopped beside a perfect background.

Amber is from Bournemouth but is studying English at university in Cambridge.

"I am on my way to choir practice!"
"I study English as I enjoy it and will eventually do my Masters but I really want to be an opera singer."

Thank you Amber and good luck!

Something struck me when I looked at Amber's portrait on the back of my camera, that is how similar it was to my previous rounds of 100 strangers style.
Those were all natural light and I could probably have achieved that same look without OCF and using a reflector but thats not what this round is about.
I am happy to have achieved this look with what I feel is subtle use of the flash.

Comments and critique most welcome.

Amber - [Stranger 207]
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

I really like this, grabs your attention. Exposure seems perfect, image quality is lovely, composure is great and the shallow dof is spot on for me with this type of shot.

I really like this, grabs your attention. Exposure seems perfect, image quality is lovely, composure is great and the shallow dof is spot on for me with this type of shot.

Thanks Graham, I am very pleased with Amber's portrait I must admit.

Nice! Really like the vanishing point, much more 'you'. The PP is a little out of sync with the previous two, but this works perfectly for Amber imo.

Couple of things... on her right cheek bone, is it a mole? If not then I would zap it and I can't decide if the handbag bothers me or not?

You've made some good progress these last few weeks. :clap:

Nice! Really like the vanishing point, much more 'you'. The PP is a little out of sync with the previous two, but this works perfectly for Amber imo.

Couple of things... on her right cheek bone, is it a mole? If not then I would zap it and I can't decide if the handbag bothers me or not?

You've made some good progress these last few weeks. :clap:

Thanks David.
Re the PP, I am still finding my 'style' with this round of strangers, it's early days so trying to establish what suits.

It is a mole on Amber's cheek so I left it as is.
The handbag bothers me a bit and wish I'd asked her to remove it off her shoulder. I considered removing it in PP but decided I couldn't be ar$ed :D

Great shot Iain, amazing eyes too, enhanced by the glasses.
The light is great and the exposure is spot on, though Flickr says the flash didn't fire.. confusing.

Anyway, great work as usual.

A lovely shot with no reflection in the glasses which is not always easy to achieve.

Thanks Nick, yes, I try and pay particular attention on subjects wearing glasses, it's all PP avoidance measures haha!

lovely shot Iain,

Thanks Steve!

Great shot Iain, amazing eyes too, enhanced by the glasses.
The light is great and the exposure is spot on, though Flickr says the flash didn't fire.. confusing.

Anyway, great work as usual.

Thanks!
You're not the first to mention about the Flickr exif flash, I believe it's to do with the flash being off camera fired through wireless triggers.

Thanks!
You're not the first to mention about the Flickr exif flash, I believe it's to do with the flash being off camera fired through wireless triggers.
Must be something Nikons do, because when I use wireless triggers on my Canon 6D it shows up on flickr as "Flash On Fired".
Maybe Nikons only register the flash firing if it's mounted in the hotshoe.

Must be something Nikons do, because when I use wireless triggers on my Canon 6D it shows up on flickr as "Flash On Fired".
Maybe Nikons only register the flash firing if it's mounted in the hotshoe.

Maybe it is Nikons or maybe that it's yongnuo and not that sophisticated.

Maybe it is Nikons or maybe that it's yongnuo and not that sophisticated.
My triggers are Yongnuo 622C, so they are the TTL compatible version that communicates more with the camera than the old models. But yeah, maybe something specific in the Yongnuo/Nikon configuration.

Anyway... small digression.

Are you carrying a light stand and umbrella or softbox around the streets or just a small flash on a pole?

My triggers are Yongnuo 622C, so they are the TTL compatible version that communicates more with the camera than the old models. But yeah, maybe something specific in the Yongnuo/Nikon configuration.

Anyway... small digression.

Are you carrying a light stand and umbrella or softbox around the streets or just a small flash on a pole?

My flashes and trigger isn't ttl so I would guess that's the issue.

I have various configurations of equipment.
I have a boom arm which I have an umbrella bracket on which can also be used with the softbox/umbrella type thing I used at the weekend.
I used it on a lightweight lightstand on Sunday as ideally the boom arm is best having someone holding it rather than me trying to juggle it.

The advantage of the lightstand also is that I can position it exactly where I want it rather than having to direct someone.

This is all part of my project/learning curve is trying to get to a system where it is seamless. I am still finessing things but will continue to alternate between light modifiers. The choices being, the hex softbox, shoot through umbrella, 20" square softbox and ultimately an Orbis ring flash which I'd like to try for a different look.

Your dedication to this project is outstanding, Iain. Especially now you are carrying flash and stand around for this set of 100. I really like this one. the central composition and the walls disappearing behind her. It's a lovely balance of ambient and flash too, IMO, plus she has a great look (which I know is why you probably approached her in the first place).

I know it's a long way off but it will be ace to see the full set collectively like we did with the last lots.

Your dedication to this project is outstanding, Iain. Especially now you are carrying flash and stand around for this set of 100. I really like this one. the central composition and the walls disappearing behind her. It's a lovely balance of ambient and flash too, IMO, plus she has a great look (which I know is why you probably approached her in the first place).

I know it's a long way off but it will be ace to see the full set collectively like we did with the last lots.

Thanks Gareth.
I have said it'll be a slow burn project this round but if I keep up my current rate, it shouldn't take as long as I had first envisaged, time will tell.
It will be interesting to see all portraits together, I feel there is more progressive development potential as I hopefully improve with OCF as I go along.

Thanks again!

Back