Amber

I can't work out whether I hate or love this. Is it over PP'D?

Actually, I love it although the face maybe a tad too much.

You're getting quite good at this :)

I wasn't having a go. I can't really explain which is why I said I loved it (the hate bit is very ott). The piercing look is fantastic just maybe a slightly shiny face. Look, I'm going to shut up and carry on looking at the image.

I wasn't having a go. I can't really explain which is why I said I loved it (the hate bit is very ott). The piercing look is fantastic just maybe a slightly shiny face. Look, I'm going to shut up and carry on looking at the image.
It is rather mesmeric...

Looks overly processed to me.

It's beautifully shot - as ever. There's lots of fine detail but at the medium detail level the shadow transitions look way too smooth and uniform. The tonality of the skin is very nice but the range is actually rather limited - it contains very few shadows & highlights and I'd expect some.

On casual inspection it looks pretty much as if you've used a global blur on a low frequency layer. Or maybe it was all dodging & burning?

I think it looks great.
For me, it's the eyes with the soft skin tones, it really makes them stand out. It's great connection with the viewer.

..... it contains very few shadows & highlights and I'd expect some.

Are we looking at the same picture?? lol There is a nice highlight down the middle of the nose; highlights on both cheeks; shadows below the nose, and the side of the face. Sorry, but I just don't get your feedback.

Are we looking at the same picture?? lol There is a nice highlight down the middle of the nose; highlights on both cheeks; shadows below the nose, and the side of the face. Sorry, but I just don't get your feedback.

Let me try to explain differently.. there are large scale shadows & highlights and there's small scale detail but on the medium scale the tones vary extremely smoothly. There are no sudden changes, no imperfections at all.

I accept that I could easily be wrong with my assessment of what you've done technically. Have you used frequency separation? I was just attempting to suggest what I thought had happened 'cos you didn't like it when @ryanboy simply said that the imaged looked over processed. Whatever you've done, she looks weird.

......I'll hit the ignore button so I don't inadvertently offend you again.

I think saying she looks weird is hardly inadvertent. And again, FWIW I have not taken offence anywhere in this thread, I have simply questioned and responded appropriately without throwing any toys out of the proverbial pram. But be my guest.....

This is what I said last night. I still can't put my finger on what actually looks weird, sorry, wrong. Odd is probably a better word than wrong. It could be the fact she has perfect face, she certainly has perfect eyes.

While i like this, i do agree that it does look overprocessed, at least it does to my eyes, especially under her nose, and her chin.

Don't spit your dummy out pal.

These are personal opinions of human beings who each like a different aspect of a photograph.
You put it in the discussion group, it is being discussed.

I for one think it's an incredible image and one I'd be proud to have taken.

Terry.

Although my initial reaction was to like the photo. Actually, I thought "ooo that looks good!". When I take a look at it properly, the skin looks just a little too perfect - she looks unreal(?) I think that's what @juggler was trying to get at. But then what do I know?
Still a nice photo and wayyyyyy better than anything I can do. :)

When I take a look at it properly, the skin looks just a little too perfect - she looks unreal(?) I think that's what @juggler was trying to get at.

Perhaps....but he has shot the same model. He should know that she has near perfect skin - certainly the cleanest, most blemish free skin of almost any model I have ever shot - I actually told her that when I was shooting, and reviewing on the laptop. I can post an export of the RAW file to show her skin. (But unfortunately I have good reason to believe that juggler is trolling me).
Honestly, this lady's skin is blemish free!

There is undoubtedly a lot of processing going on. it is certainly effective. But nevertheless it is not for me.
It has the un-lived in look of a perfectly painted house.
the catch-lights in the eyes do not match the shadows on the face which are entirely symmetrical..

I like this, its certainly striking. I assume theres some serious PP work gone one her but I think it suits both the model and the photo

I like this a lot. I like the various shadows and highlights in the hair, the sharpness in the eyes and also the light seperating her from the background. The only thing I noticed that didn't sit right for me was the bit where her hairline meets her facial skin.... the blend between those doesn't look quite right to me... but the rest of the image, including expression and composition is fab!

That hard stare is just brilliant.

Thanks for the 100% it does help show the skin far better.

Wish I could get such stunning portraits.............................

Wow, another excellent image. Again, I love the expression and the lighting!

Perhaps....but he has shot the same model. He should know that she has near perfect skin - certainly the cleanest, most blemish free skin of almost any model I have ever shot - I actually told her that when I was shooting, and reviewing on the laptop. I can post an export of the RAW file to show her skin. (But unfortunately I have good reason to believe that juggler is trolling me).
Honestly, this lady's skin is blemish free!

Then that's what I think could be described as a double edged sword(?). To have such perfect skin is a real bonus for her, but it does warrant the "over-processed" comments you're getting too. Personally, I couldn't say if, or by how much, you have processed the image, but her perfect skin does give the image an un-natural feel.
I do think sometimes that people get too hung up on the technicality of the image process and talk down an image on that basis. If the image is pleasing, and you're not selling it as anything but, who the hell cares how you arrived at it? In attempt to clarify this point consider this. We look at a formula 1 car capable of tremendous performance and, to some, beauty. But we don't go around criticising that performance because it too technical or costs too much. Do we? No. It is what it is and that's why it is. Does that make sense?

Time for my 2p then :D

I find her mouth pout a little odd, and there's a few strays hairs off the top left I find slightly annoying

Other than that - I LOVE IT :)

I don't find it over processed at all, what I see is a style of processing and one I like very much. I'd be highly delighted it if it was mine, so I'll end with - its FAB

Dave

I really like it. Yes there is processing done but I don't mind that, it works for me for this shot and it looks very professionally done. Love her name also, same as my daughter!

Last edited:
A really nice shot. The eyes are mesmerising as said but to me the pout doesn't do her any favours.

Lighting, composition, expression, is all quite stunning. My only suggestion would be to soften the face (except the eyes). The very detailed skin gives it a bit of a surreal character and also makes the jaw line so sharp that the face pops a little too much. Of course, if this is the effect wanted then it is spot on. But to keep a female portrait flattering the skin does need to be softened. Problem with today's ultra high resolution gear is that it shows too much. :LOL: So I would say just soften the skin some but leave the eyes razor sharp as you want them to be the attention grabber. Below is a link that shows the technique in practice. Alternatively all the detail might be ok if the jaw line is just softened so it does not pop the chin and jaw so much. Chin and jaw line are visually grabbing too much of my attention and overshadowing all the details in the eyes and lips. So I think softening the jaw line alone would keep all the punch of the image and also keep the focus on the eyes and lips. But this aside, congrats on the stunning image!!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-VQRZzD6Pa...mma-watson-portrait-up-close-and-personal.jpg

ps - the other thing of note to be careful of is the lighting setup as it appears reflected in the eyes. In the link I have above from a rather famous photographer (martin-schoeller), his lighting setup you can see mimics a reflection that gives the eyes a vertical slit somewhat like a cat. It is distinctive and in a lot of his work.

Last edited:
I really like it and would be more than chuffed with that but then I'm not expert :).

Me too!

If I'd taken this photo it would be the best I've ever taken by far. Getting to that standard would be quite an achievement for me.

First picture is stunning I reckon.

Subject is very good, and see no problem with processing.

As for those lips...........................love 'em.

Mj

Back