Ambleside Lake Windermere

Compositionally I think it shows promise with the boat as f/g interest although there is perhaps too much of the green foliage and not enough of the lake.
However, the horizon is running downhill left to right by quite some amount and the processing is unflattering. HDR or tone mapping of some kind?
It lacks contrast and the foliage is rather luminous and overpowering in colour.

I'm sure someone will be along shortly to tell me I'm wrong and that its excellent though :rolleyes:

It does, but the time of day and weather conditions are all wrong which is why I wouldn't spend lots of time processing it. Try this composition on a sunny but not completely clear morning or evening with the sun behind you or to the side of you. You'll do well.

Forget tone mapping, HDR, bracketing, tonal contrast (colour fx users) and get a clean exposure with no blinkies and you'll be fine. Try a grad filter or even a circ polarising filter.

PS, compositionally, include less of the trees and more of the lake, I'd stand a bit more to the right and face into the lake a bit more.

Back