An evening to remember on Snowdon

Edit My Images
No
I'd been on my feet all day at work but couldn't resist a trip out this evening with the start of October carrying on where September left off, a wonderful Indian Summer.

I set off up the Rhyd Ddu path and reached the summit of Snowdon in an hour and forty minutes. There were a few stragglers getting ready to go down but none on my path so I went back to the slender ridge of Bwlch Main and waited for the light.

Sometimes a mountain image benefits from having a figure in the frame to add scale and human interest. This being one of those times I set up my wireless release and posed away.

For the second shot I tried to get in as many lakes as I could while the light went absolutely mental!

I usually despise haze and clear skies but they really worked for me tonight I think.

What an amazing mountain, what an amazing evening!

Thanks for looking folks :)

On Bwlch Main - Snowdon by Nicholas Livesey, on Flickr

Lakes, mountains and sea - Moel Eilio from Bwlch Main by Nicholas Livesey, on Flickr

Last edited:

Splendid! I don't think I need to say any more to you!

Last edited:
Thanks Peter :)

Because I spend so much time in the mountains I can sometimes take it a little bit for granted when conditions are a bit 'meh' although I know that living here is an enormous privilege. Every now and then I give myself a talking to and tonight was one of those times when I remembered a saying from a very good photographer I know..."If you can't be with the light you love, love the light you're with" ;)

Very nice images Nick, a special place to be!

Stunning!
So jealous of being up there at that time of day in those conditions; you made the best of it too :)
I'll be back up there in a couple of weeks and am so looking forward to it.

If it's any consolation, every time I go for a pee in the Tyn y Coed (which is often) I think of you...come and see me in the Siabod Cafe when you visit ;)

Very nice images Nick, a special place to be!

Thanks David, no doubt see you soon :)

Thanks Peter :)

Because I spend so much time in the mountains I can sometimes take it a little bit for granted when conditions are a bit 'meh' although I know that living here is an enormous privilege. Every now and then I give myself a talking to and tonight was one of those times when I remembered a saying from a very good photographer I know..."If you can't be with the light you love, love the light you're with" ;)
Very true Nick. I used to live there from 3 - 18 and at that age I really didn't appreciate what I had on my doorstep. Heck the first time I got to the top of Snowdon was the week before I left !

Keep making the most of the light and don't forget to share those moments with us

I just I had been there Nick but looking at these will do.
Very nice ideed.

Two crackers Nick. No1 for me. I love the light in both.

An hour and forty minutes? You some sort of mountain goat? :)

Two lovely images and agree about the haze etc, works very well. One of the best selfies I've seen too ;)

These are amazing! Particularly the first one with the person. Any chance of you showing me the way one day?

Stunning light, it is breathtakingly beautiful. Really love No1. Simply a Great Shot!

Thanks for al the positive comments folks, much appreciated :)

Stunning pair of photos Nick, and up in an 1hr 40min is not shoddy at all, especially as that route is tougher (IMO).
An hour and forty minutes? You some sort of mountain goat? :)

In fairness I was walking quite fast as I hadn't much time!

Any chance of you showing me the way one day?

Of course, give me a shout if ever you're up this way ;)

Both amazing shots, but the first is the keeper for me. If that was a shot of myself i think i'd frame it :D

Wonderful images and a great idea to put yourself in the frame,you're right,having a climber or mountaineer in the shot makes a real difference,the colouring is very impressive too. The quality of the shots are tops too, it's what I thought at first glance.All worth your effort despite after a hard working day.

Last edited:
Fabulous. Great effort to drag yourself up there for sure. Then again knowing how to get the photos is another matter.

In awe !

Gaz

Cracking shots those. First one definitely benefits from the person in the shot too. Love it.

Back