An eye for fashion

Name
Toni
Edit My Images
No
As I mentioned before, Birmingham is full of haphazard and ill-fitting architecture that sometimes makes me think of Bladerunner. On the outside of Grand Central is a vast screen that constantly displays adverts, but the shape looks for all the world like a monstrous robotic eye, watching for prey. Combined with the advert playing at the time (they edited out the slightly more risque bits) the title for the image seemed obvious.

I've processed the image deliberately dark, but kept the advert bright to replicate the cold, dim, grimy appearance of the streets compared to the warm, enticing glow from the screen as it appeared at dusk.

An eye for fashion
by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

C&C welcome.

Last edited:
I like it Toni, and I like your take on it too.

For me though, the building rising up on the (camera) left hand edge draws my attention away from the eye - up and out of the image. I'd be interested to see more on the (camera) right - 'space for the eye to look into' I guess. Even if it were cluttered, that'd be ok. Those (tram?) lines act as interesting leading lines too. Well noticed.

I wonder how it would look if the surrounding image had a day-for-day night technique used as in some films? Perhaps even doing some form of Blade Runner processing such as like this if you could be bothered, because I'd love to see the result!

I like it Toni, and I like your take on it too.

For me though, the building rising up on the (camera) left hand edge draws my attention away from the eye - up and out of the image. I'd be interested to see more on the (camera) right - 'space for the eye to look into' I guess. Even if it were cluttered, that'd be ok. Those (tram?) lines act as interesting leading lines too. Well noticed.

Thanks for commenting Ian, and good point about space for the eye to look into on the RHS. I've a landscape version, and may well investigate that a bit.

I wonder how it would look if the surrounding image had a day-for-day night technique used as in some films? Perhaps even doing some form of Blade Runner processing such as like this if you could be bothered, because I'd love to see the result!

Thank you for that link Graham - really interesting. I may have a go & see what can be done, though I don't have photoshop, so will need to investigate alternative approaches.

Back