An F40 amongst others at Silverstone

Name
Sam
Edit My Images
Yes
First time shooting cars. Hit the jackpot with this lot. One regret is that I wasn't able to shoot with the camera on a gimbal so the shots on the track are rather static.

Any critique/feedback or questions appreciated, I've never taken a photo of a car before and know very little about them so I had no idea what to focus on. Got plenty more shots where these came from though and the client was over the moon with the results.

30356589086_813f27c968_b.jpg

30392744205_6bae03bf38_b.jpg

30392743595_62ce04d4d4_b.jpg

30356587956_5c1def307e_b.jpg

29762321774_f263df1e76_b.jpg

The in-car driver shot is superb, great focus on his eyes, showing the concentration. But with the ones on the track, you need a slower shutter speed so that you get a bit of motion blur and therefore a sense of speed. Without that, they just look like a static display, which is not what supercars are designed for. Keep the camera focused on the car, but allow everything else to blur. A shutter speed between 1/60th and 150th should give you some blur. If the cars are going slowly (less than 40mph), then a slower shutter speed (ie 1/60th) will get you a decent blur, if they are going faster, 60mph or more, get your shutter speed up more.
*This is only from my own experimentation with panning/cars, I'm sure other more experienced motorsports photographers know more.

Cheers @ABTog, that one from inside the car was the hardest to get, he wasn't hanging around and I was bouncing all over the place haha. I said in my post that I didn't like the static-ness of that shot, but we had very little time to get the shots on the track so I went for the safe option of upping the shutter speed to increase the number of keepers, will definitely experiment more next time but a gimbal would have been ideal, my partner next to me was shooting video on one

Back