An Hour Old Seal Pup

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Probably went too early but there were around 37 pups on the beach when I arrived, 38 by the time I left.
I sat quietly observing a small group for over an hour who were just content to lay there asleep, I moved a little further along the beach only to turn around and see one of the females had given birth whilst I walked:(
Still , it was great to capture the following photo of the pup less than an hour old.

Less than an hour old
by John Jesney, on Flickr

I left mother and pup to get to know each other and went in search of some older pups..

ABC (Another Bloody Cameraman)

"This is my good side"

Rise n Shine

Just Chillin

Then onto some adults

Smile..Seal Style

On a more disturbing note I got talking to a couple of the seal wardens, (how true this is I am not sure as I know they try to dissuade people going onto the beach) and they were telling about a group of photographers on the waters edge who were prodding the seals trying to provoke a reaction.Again I cannot see how you would get that close but if true then it is a shame that a few morons could again spoil it for the rest of us.

Lovely set, 3 and 4 are smashing shots, colour, light, sharpness all spot on to me.

Regards Paul

Lovely set of images!
Public photographers or not should be banned off the beaches IMO
Wildlife should never be put at any kind of risk for the sake of a picture!
There are plenty of bridge cameras with Superzooms that allow you to get close enough without disturbing the wildlife !

Is this at Donna Nook? Are the wardens happy with people going on the beach?
Hi Graham,
They do everything they can to discourage you but I don't think they have any power to stop you. The trouble with Donna is they have fenced off a certain section of the beach and so you are confined to a certain degree what photos you can take, if you go during the week the beach is a no go area anyway as the offshore area is used as a bombing range.
The weekends bring their own problems in the form of the public, in their clamour to see the seals they often are oblivious to you standing there with tripod etc, my best advice is get there at sunrise and you should get a few hours in before the masses arrive.
You can get onto the beach further down the coast but as Phil commented the seals are there for a reason and should not be disturbed for the sake of a photo, again I think if more of these instances are logged then they may close the site off completely.
Hope that helps
Cheers
John

What a fantastic set, rise and shine does it for me.

Hi Graham,
They do everything they can to discourage you but I don't think they have any power to stop you. The trouble with Donna is they have fenced off a certain section of the beach and so you are confined to a certain degree what photos you can take, if you go during the week the beach is a no go area anyway as the offshore area is used as a bombing range.
The weekends bring their own problems in the form of the public, in their clamour to see the seals they often are oblivious to you standing there with tripod etc, my best advice is get there at sunrise and you should get a few hours in before the masses arrive.
You can get onto the beach further down the coast but as Phil commented the seals are there for a reason and should not be disturbed for the sake of a photo, again I think if more of these instances are logged then they may close the site off completely.
Hope that helps
Cheers
John
Ive been before (arriving early) and had some excellent shots from the viewing area, just wondered when you mentioned moving along the beach where these images were taken. As has been stated, these are wild animals and shouldnt be disturbed by people for the sake of a good photograph just at the time they are at their most vulnerable. Its also possible to get some good shots of the aircraft dispensing flares over the range at the same time!
Great Pics by the way.

These are amazing! Very well done.
What a pleasure for you to be there at such a special moment.
I enjoyed them all but that baby seal close up is awesome :)
Cathy

Many thanks for the great comments guys, it was and is always a privelege to see things like this.
Ever since I bought my camera 3 years back my eyes have been well and truly opened to the beauty this country has to offer..just wish I had noticed it a lot earlier :)
My love for this hobby has inspired my daughter to do A-level photography so at least she has the bug early.
Cheers again
John

Very nice, i went a couple of years back but was a little late in the season (end of jan) i intend on going up next week..

These are really good. Well done :) Where was this? I went to Horsey to see the seals but could no way get close enough :(
Thanks agin everyone for the great comments.
Dan, they were taken at a place called Donna Nook, North Somercotes, Lincs. Just up the coast a little from Mablethorpe
John

Back