An Osprey fishing

Well captured.I assume you weren't able to get in a position to catch it heading towards you. A great experience to see them too.

John.
Unfortunately changing positions would have meant standing in an alligator infested swamp (really). And much as I love photography I am pretty attached to my legs as well!!! There were plenty of Ospreys in the trees but the ones that were flying around the lake were very aware of my presence and kept a long way out. I will visit this swamp every time I return to Florida and will get the head on fishing shot eventually. By the way the locals cannot understand why we put so much effort into photographing ospreys, they are two a penny to them!

John.
Unfortunately changing positions would have meant standing in an alligator infested swamp (really). And much as I love photography I am pretty attached to my legs as well!!! There were plenty of Ospreys in the trees but the ones that were flying around the lake were very aware of my presence and kept a long way out. I will visit this swamp every time I return to Florida and will get the head on fishing shot eventually. By the way the locals cannot understand why we put so much effort into photographing ospreys, they are two a penny to them!

Ah..Ok. Very sensible. Lol.

Very good second shot.

Re the iconic BH Eagle I assume you're aware of this location ? This particular link has the most comprehensive information.You don't need lessons in how to take the shots. https://www.destinationwildlife.com...e-spectacular-bald-eagle-photos-conowingo-dam

Re the iconic BH Eagle I assume you're aware of this location ? This particular link has the most comprehensive information.You don't need lessons in how to take the shots. https://www.destinationwildlife.com...e-spectacular-bald-eagle-photos-conowingo-dam

Hi John
When I was researching places to go for Bald eagles two places kept coming up, Alaska and the Conowingo dam. The Conowingo dam was the cheapest option by far as it was very much a DIY scenario, flight to Baltimore or Washington the hire a car and book accommodation - job done. However the Alaska option gave more chance of better backgrounds but a lot more travelling to get there and about 4x the cost. As I thought this may be a one off I bit the bullet and went to Alaska which in hindsight was a good decision as I got some pretty decent landscape/seascape shots on the ferry to Haines and a pretty good shot of a grizzly. I may do the dam next year as it can be a last minute decision and I will have got some more Virgin air miles by then!! One other difference I now realise is that at the dam you get shots of eagles fishing and probably more aerial squabbles whereas in Alaska the salmon are plentiful in the shallow water and too big to fly off with whole.

Great shot I love Florida for it’s wildlife. The alligators are a minor problem. Lol

Hi John
When I was researching places to go for Bald eagles two places kept coming up, Alaska and the Conowingo dam. The Conowingo dam was the cheapest option by far as it was very much a DIY scenario, flight to Baltimore or Washington the hire a car and book accommodation - job done. However the Alaska option gave more chance of better backgrounds but a lot more travelling to get there and about 4x the cost. As I thought this may be a one off I bit the bullet and went to Alaska which in hindsight was a good decision as I got some pretty decent landscape/seascape shots on the ferry to Haines and a pretty good shot of a grizzly. I may do the dam next year as it can be a last minute decision and I will have got some more Virgin air miles by then!! One other difference I now realise is that at the dam you get shots of eagles fishing and probably more aerial squabbles whereas in Alaska the salmon are plentiful in the shallow water and too big to fly off with whole.

Good decision.Gordon. Now you won't have to keep thinking about Alaska and have the wonderful background scenery too. Unfortunately, all I've see of Alaska was from a cruise ship..lol. At least we got to see an Orca with her calf right alongised the ship. Vancouver to Seward to Anchorage > Seattle where the bus driver took us on a quick tour of the suburbs as we were early for the flight home and we saw a moose eating a resident's front lawn...lol.

Back