An Osprey on the Somerset Levels

Name
'Gramps'
Edit My Images
No
Thanks to a tip-off from @AdamSi I got up early yesterday to make a trip down to the Somerset Levels, where an Osprey had been seen. Apparently this Osprey is a regular visitor, returning around this time every year for a stay of around two weeks. Reports had said that the site became very crowded during the day as, understandably, folks wanted to see the bird, so I set off at around 4:50am to drive down.
There was very little light when I arrived and after a brisk walk to the site I found the area isolated so was able to choose my spot, so to speak, at the side of the lake and wait for the light to improve.

It took quite a while to spot the Osprey but I eventually found it perched on a tree right across the far end of the lake...

Far-Side.jpg

A bit too much of a challenge even for the 500mm.
After a short while I was joined by a few other togs and the anticipation predictably led to a lot of chatting until someone spotted that the Osprey had moved, ("pay attention next time" I hear you say!), to a large dead tree on the other side of the lake, nearer but still quite a long way away and whilst the sun was beginning to have an effect, so was the fluffy cloud...

Dead-Tree.jpg

After about another hour, and more chatting, the Osprey suddenly took off and seemed to be flying out of the area and away from the lake ... seemingly a disappointment was to be had by all. However it suddenly turned back and had obviously spotted a fish under the surface of the lake and it swooped down to catch it, splashing down into the water...

Osprey on the Somerset Levels
by Roger, on Flickr

by Roger, on Flickr

then carrying it off across the lake and back toward the dead tree...

by Roger, on Flickr

before tucking into his well earned breakfast...

by Roger, on Flickr

by Roger, on Flickr

by Roger, on Flickr

Nothing like as good as some of the images from the Osprey Workshops posted on here but I couldn't get any closer and despite that it was lovely to see the Osprey and to have the opportunity to photograph a rare wild bird that I have never seen before and as far as I know, is not a bird generally seen in this area.
Hope you enjoy a little share in my experience :)

Last edited:
That's excellent Roger was so happy you seen it and those captures very good as I know how bloody far away it was as even binoculars were strugglin at times when we walked over to see it after hearing all the locals talking about it

Really good shots,Roger especially taking into account what Adam has said about distance so very well done.. Obviously the nearest one can get.

Wait till Les (Lez)..Mr. Somerset Levels sees these.Lol.. Did he know about them ? … Les ??

I went to Rutland Water..126 miles..but they were too far away to get a decent shot even with 400mm and a 1,4X giving 560mm plus the 1.6 of my then camera so 896mm ! The warden told me they were 280metres away.

Thanks John, it was a great experience.
I suspect Les knows it is there as he seems to spend a lot of time around where it is ... several of the togs who were there were talking about having been to Rutland Water to see them :)

Nice one Roger great to have seen them (y)

The breeding birds are migrating back south now so if it the same bird every year one of them is stopping for a break en route. Anyone know if it's male or female? The females always leave first - dad has to hang around till the kids decide to leave home........... The younger birds are also known to come north for a look round before they get to maturity.
Apparently there were two seen later yesterday..............
Great to see some local shots of such a wonderful bird.

The breeding birds are migrating back south now so if it the same bird every year one of them is stopping for a break en route. Anyone know if it's male or female? The females always leave first - dad has to hang around till the kids decide to leave home........... The younger birds are also known to come north for a look round before they get to maturity.
Apparently there were two seen later yesterday..............
Great to see some local shots of such a wonderful bird.

Interesting if two were seen, there was no evidence that there was a 2nd bird, just from locals word that the same individual bird had been back for about the last 7 years.

Nice story behind the images mate, as you say they are big crops but you did well to get closer considering the first compared to the last image :)

Thanks Joe, yes big crops as all shots were taken from the same spot, he landed on a 2nd dead tree to the side of the original when feeding ... all with the D7200 and the 500 f4, I also took a few shots with a 1.4 or 1.7 attached ... another with the bare 500 and taken from the original location...

Osprey with fish
by Roger, on Flickr

Last edited:
Love the story-telling on this post Gramps.

Literally had to hold off the urge to scroll to the last one to see if you had an in-yer-face shot!

Great set and you are very lucky to have seen one.

Sat at Esthwaite Water for about 5 hours a couple of months ago, only to see it drop in and catch a fish as I was packing up my gear! :)

[Error post unable to edit for some reason]

Last edited:
Love the story-telling on this post Gramps.

Literally had to hold off the urge to scroll to the last one to see if you had an in-yer-face shot!

Great set and you are very lucky to have seen one.
Thanks Wez, it was a great experience to see it :)
Sat at Esthwaite Water for about 5 hours a couple of months ago, only to see it drop in and catch a fish as I was packing up my gear! :)

Oh no!
doh-smiley.gif

Anyone know if it's male or female?

@Jannyfox
I have no idea on this and nobody amongst the locals I was with mentioned knowledge of it ... I can't see anything in my book or on the RSPB site that gives an indication of differences so I guess it's not so easy to tell. :)

Great series of photo's, especially at the distance. I was there yesterday and Thursday.

Interesting if two were seen, there was no evidence that there was a 2nd bird, just from locals word that the same individual bird had been back for about the last 7 years.
A second bird was seen on Friday and photographed by a friend of mine who managed to photograph the 2 flying together Flickr Link

Great series of photo's, especially at the distance. I was there yesterday and Thursday.

A second bird was seen on Friday and photographed by a friend of mine who managed to photograph the 2 flying together Flickr Link

Thanks Jerry, that is quite amazing ... I was there on Friday, pity I left when I did I would have loved to see the two, although happy at even seeing one if truth be told :)

Back