And people wonder why....

Greendale's meat is fabulous! Not cheap but quality very rarely is.

....why the "vegan movement" gets a bad rap......

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-46111505

I think that I am considering another thread about a very similar, though totally different movement, but I am not sure about the resulting fallout - bloody hell I must be getting soft!
Anyway, the vegans are totally toxic - food jihadis/extremists/fundamentalists.
They are having it bad in France.
I remember a Frankie Boyle joke -

A couple go to a restaurant in France, and the guy says - "What is the vegetarian option?", and the waiter replies - "You can f**k off!"

https://www.thelocal.fr/20180912/fr...vegans-suspected-of-vandalising-butcher-shops

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't have a problem with vegans or vegetarians etc in general, each to their own.

When anyone starts to preach their choice or worse threatens those that have the opposite view then there is an issue that needs to be addressed.
What gives anyone the right to dictate to another person what they eat, within legal boundaries of course, not suggesting anyone eating an endangered species is going to get much sympathy.

Thought the ones who did this to the shop might have had enough sense to think that what the farmer is doing - offering people the chance to see where their food came from - might have furthered their cause.

Dave

The shop in question is in a rural area and I would guess that most of their customers are fairly well aware that their meat comes from animals.

I wouldn't pay £1.50 for a pack of 8 sausages. Far too cheap to get anything half decent! IIRC, I paid £3 for a pack of 6, although by buying 4 packs at once, the cost ended up being closer to £2/pack.

I remember a Frankie Boyle joke -

A couple go to a restaurant in France, and the guy says - "What is the vegetarian option?", and the waiter replies - "You can f**k off!"
Some while ago I saw the BBC journalist Gavin Esler being interviewed on TV. He recalled a time when he had been covering some big international summit thing at Jackson Hole in Wyoming, and after it was finished the production crew all went out for a meal at a local restaurant. The menu was basically steak, steak and more steak, so Esler called the waiter over and asked him what he'd recommend for a vegetarian? "Well, son," drawled the waiter, "I'd recommend you get the hell out of Wyoming."

Let them get on with it. Some people need some people to hate...

Do you think it is right for militant vegans to attack businesses, just because they do not meet with the rather strict dietary habits of a fringe group?
Extremists of any kind are very intolerant of people who do not agree with them, to the extent that they often use violence.

My wife is vegetarian (which makes me vegetarian) and sometimes flips in and out of veganism. Never makes it an agenda, never rants about it and never says anything other than when asking about what a food or meal contains. I've no problem with this sort of vegan.

I'm happy for vegans to protest - I believe in freedom of speech. But those actions are wrong and are the sort of thing I'd associate with the likes of PETA.

Do you think it is right for militant vegans to attack businesses, just because they do not meet with the rather strict dietary habits of a fringe group?
Extremists of any kind are very intolerant of people who do not agree with them, to the extent that they often use violence.
No I don't.
I hope you've miss-understood my post...I was referring to the reactions of some here, hence my previous comment relating to the "Cycling" thread.

When I was at Uni some of my female colleagues on our Environmental Studies course were vegetarian, and I was appreciated for being a "2nd generation Vegetarian" :)

That was until one of them asked me why I was eating lamb chops and I replied that by "2nd generation" I meant that I only eat things that had eaten grass

They went off me after that for some reason

As it happens I'm quite happy to eat veggie food, and I often have salad or vegetables as a side dish

Dave

My Mrs is Thai and the things she and her friends say to each other can sound terrible to my western ears but apparently it's perfectly fine to be fat in their culture and there's absolutely nothing wrong with calling people "fatty" and the like. My Mrs nickname means "fat." She isn't by the way. Maybe weight hate is a cultural thing and not something we're necessarily born with.

Maybe weight hate is a cultural thing and not something we're necessarily born with.
I once worked with a Ghanian chap who tried to woo a local (Cornish) lass. He could not begin to understand why she got so violently upset when he called her 'a big fat cow'. When I asked him about the black eye and why he had chosen that particular endearment his response was 'well, you have to say that to women, don't you.'

My Mrs is Thai and the things she and her friends say to each other can sound terrible to my western ears but apparently it's perfectly fine to be fat in their culture and there's absolutely nothing wrong with calling people "fatty" and the like. My Mrs nickname means "fat." She isn't by the way. Maybe weight hate is a cultural thing and not something we're necessarily born with.

I once worked with a Ghanian chap who tried to woo a local (Cornish) lass. He could not begin to understand why she got so violently upset when he called her 'a big fat cow'. When I asked him about the black eye and why he had chosen that particular endearment his response was 'well, you have to say that to women, don't you.'

Ah! some cultural differences do struggle when they cross borders.

When I was at Uni some of my female colleagues on our Environmental Studies course were vegetarian, and I was appreciated for being a "2nd generation Vegetarian" :)

That was until one of them asked me why I was eating lamb chops and I replied that by "2nd generation" I meant that I only eat things that had eaten grass

They went off me after that for some reason

As it happens I'm quite happy to eat veggie food, and I often have salad or vegetables as a side dish

Dave

It would be nice to make some "real" mince pies as Hugh F-W detailed in an episode of River Cottage. Principal ingredient - 1kg lamb mince, then offer them round....

Back