And this thing I saw!

Name
Nige
Edit My Images
No
How can I describe it? A monstrous tripod, higher than many houses, striding over the young pine trees, and smashing them aside in its career; a walking engine of glittering metal, striding now across the heather; articulate ropes of steel dangling from under it, and the clattering tumult of its passage mingling with the riot of thunder.” H.G. Wells. The War of the Worlds.

FILM - And this thing I saw!
by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

Nikon F80
Nikkor 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 AF
Fomapan 400

I was out taking photos at White Edge in the Peak District the weekend before last. There was a thin skim of snow on the ground and the conditions were damp and foggy. From the footpath I noticed some interesting trees poking out of the mist across the heather so I made my way over to get a clearer shot. After firing off a couple of exposures with the Yashica Mat 124 G, I decided to get some 35mm pictures with my F80 (on it's first outing - with me, at least), so left the TLR on the tripod while I found a nice composition for the SLR, When I finished and turned aound, the tripod made for a striking image and the first thing that popped into my head was "Horsell Common!", the place where the first Martian invader strikes Earth in Wells' novel.

I'm not suggesting by any means that this is a great shot, but I like it for the connection it made in my head. It might've benefited from some additional drama had I lay on the ground and gotten a lower angle wide shot, but by this time I was cold and a bit of water had gotten inside my shoe, so I didn't bother. :)

Last edited:
Back