Angel of the North

Looks as though you have the vertical aspect right,sky really adds to the photo giving it a proper balance, the couple with the kiddie puts this landmark into its proper scale.
Quite near to where i live but have never photographed it, not brave enough verticals would throw me.
GEORGE.

I think that is a good take of that iconic feature, well done (y)

Thanks guys, would really like to go back another time and take it with a stormy sky as well :)

Unfortunately the "halo" around the angel (which is also in the colour original) makes it almost look as if it was "pasted in" from another image.

In my opinion the "Angel" is a very difficult subject.
The location means you are always using the sky as background, which leads to the inevitable contrast problems on a sunny day, and you cannot step back far enough to show it "in context."
To get the whole structure in you are pretty much forced to use a wide angle lens.
I tried photographing this a few years ago and didn't get very good results and I'd like to return sometime for another try.
This image is certainly better than any of mine.
I wonder if it could justify a composite image, with the Angel taken on an overcast day to reduce the contrast, and then a nice sky pasted in for a background.

Thanks for all your comments, certainly a place I shall revisit in the future.

Back