Non UK Ankor Wat

Name
Doug
Edit My Images
Yes
I am travelling around Vietnam and Cambodia in April/May and one of the trips will be to Ankor Wat.

Does anyone have any secret spots for the sunrise shots? It looks like the main tourist area gets beyond busy so I would prefer somewhere more secluded even if it's not the typical postcard scene that will be captured!

Been a couple of times, first time I struggled with the crowds, second time I hired a driver and he took me to some off the grid places.

I found Trip Advisor quite helpful, if you are going to Hue then look for Mr.Chu's cafe as its worth a visit, he's a photographer and well known, day trips to the citadel and Kings Royal palace are also worth considering.

I'm not sure about secret spots, once you enter the archaeological park there are so many people it is quite crowded everywhere but I found first thing in the morning can be quiet at least until everyone disperses from Angkor Wat (the actual temple).

I would say avoid Angkor Wat at sunrise unless you really really want that photo. I got there about 90 minutes before sunrise and there were already about 50 people with cameras. I had to setup my tripod off to the side somewhere. By sunrise it was like being at the front of a concert with people taking selfies in front of my camera. Very unpleasant experience.

Next morning went to Ta Prohm (tomb raider) temple instead. Got there just before sunrise and nobody was there. Had visited previous afternoon and it was overrun with tourists. Amazing experience to explore around the ruins and have them to pretty much to yourself. A few others started showing up but didn't feel crowded at all.

After that continued around the grand circuit loop. Particularly the smaller temples were quite pleasant as everyone is rushing to get to the more famous ones.

Last edited:
I'm not sure about secret spots, once you enter the archaeological park there are so many people it is quite crowded everywhere but I found first thing in the morning can be quiet at least until everyone disperses from Angkor Wat (the actual temple).

I would say avoid Angkor Wat at sunrise unless you really really want that photo. I got there about 90 minutes before sunrise and there were already about 50 people with cameras. I had to setup my tripod off to the side somewhere. By sunrise it was like being at the front of a concert with people taking selfies in front of my camera. Very unpleasant experience.

Next morning went to Ta Prohm (tomb raider) temple instead. Got there just before sunrise and nobody was there. Had visited previous afternoon and it was overrun with tourists. Amazing experience to explore around the ruins and have them to pretty much to yourself. A few others started showing up but didn't feel crowded at all.

After that continued around the grand circuit loop. Particularly the smaller temples were quite pleasant as everyone is rushing to get to the more famous ones.

I really like the suggestion of Ta Prohm for sunrise! I can imagine that might be really quite special if the lighting is good. It really does not appeal to me being at 'THE' spot and contending with crowds of selfie takers.

I've been a couple of times. During the day photos impossible, best thing to do is hire a tuc tuc driver for the day $20-25. Do Angkor Wat with everyone else at sunrise but with your own tuc tuc beat the rush to Angkor Thom and all the others, it will take em an hour or so to catch up

Back