Annoying composition? Close-up shot

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,
For the competition over at OCUK (theme of Macro and Close-up), i took and processed this this morning:
ring_sepia.jpg

I was trying to avoid a picture of my eye, a spider or a coin. What do you think? Normally, I would have placed the ring (focal point) nearer to the left of the frame (to get it on the 3rd's line). This annoy's me slightly, but I also find it interesting - it makes me pay more attention to the ring for some reason.

Any thoughts?

I like it a lot. The Rule Of Thirds isn't carved in stone.;)

The rule of thirds can be broken (sometimes).

I think it looks good :)

Cheers for the reply. I know its not a set rule to stick to - i think it might be a mild case of Autism or something like that, but I like to have things stuck rigidly in their place (can't sleep in an untidy room for example). Its the same with photo's - i can't take a photo on an angle other than portrait or landscape - any angle in between makes me uneasy taking the picture.

Very odd. I'm trying to de-weird myself day by day :)

Joe, thanks for the comment. You are right that they intrude somewhat. The original colour version is a blue jumper with yellow writing, and my B+W conversion hasn't toned them down. I did try, but it also toned down the silveryness of the ring/chain. Perhaps a bit of selective toning is required :)

Matt

I like that, and as has been already said, the rules are there to be broken, except you haven't really, as the picture is broken into vertical thirds, just with the focal point in the middle one. Just wondering if a tone (any primary colour) might suit this pic better

Back