Another 20D question !!

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Some advice needed please...........

After looking around for the best price on a 20D body I was pointed in the direction of an e-tailer on E-Bay - comes highly recommended and there are no worries of the quality of his service.........but the camera is actually a USA model.
Question then - are there any problems associated with buying a 20D which is a U.S.A model.

Apparently it comes with a USA warrenty but is hounered over hear as I would have a UK receipt.??

Any thoughts fella's

Chris

I can only tell you what I learned from many years of Nikon ownership, and I believe the situation is the much the same with Canon or any other manufacturer. Contrary to what dealers and other doom merchants may tell you, the manufacturer has an obligation to provide warranty service/repair on their products regardless of where in the world they originate from.

However if you've bought a 'Grey' product - one not normally covered by warranty in the country where you reside, you can expect Canon (in this case) to insist on the camera being returned to the country of origin for the work to be carried out, the shipping and the expense being down to you. I think the message is - expect the maximum hassle they can possibly give you for not playing the game by the rules.;)

With Canon equipment this will apply to any camera body and some other equipment, but in the case of lenses they carry a full international warranty which is valid anywhere in the world.

That's my understanding of the situation unless anyone knows any different.

Hope that helps mate.:)

As CT has said, Canon does not offer international guarantees on their camera bodies but does on their lenses, so if you had a problem with a 20D purchased outside of the UK then you either have to ship it back to the country it was made for to be repaired(usually the shipping is your responsibility also), or pay for the repair yourself in the UK at whatever cost.

Thanks for the info fella's

CT - Not actually bought it yet, still doing the homework - in this case to make sure I don't get bit on the arse in time to come. IYKWIM

TBH if it means paying a little bit more for peace of mind then I will.

Strange though how he's mentioned this thing about having a UK receipt :confused-

Thanks

Canon can tell by the serial number where the camera was made to be retailed. If it is from another country other than the UK, irrespective of what your reciept says, they will refuse to cover any repair under guarantee unless you can prove that you are victim of a scam, which obviously you will not have been.

Can't give any evidence (don't remember where) but I read of someone who sent in a 'grey' camera and it was repaired here under warranty. It was also said that Canon UK do not have a system to tell where the camera was made from the serial.

My 20D is from ebuyer and originated from Canada. ebuyer said they will cover the warranty should there be any problem with Canon direct. Hopefully I won't need it.

While I won't disagree with you Robert, I have evidence that says differently. I am only pointing out the worse case and it may be possible that if a problem should arise it could in fact be repaired under warrantee, however its also possible that it won't. If that happens then it will be time to dip into his own funds to pay for either postage or the repair here in the UK.

Like I said it was something I read on a forum sometime so it may or may not be true.

I was concerned after i got my 20D and realised I may have to depend on ebuyer in the case of a fault, so it was some comfort to read there may be a chance Canon would cover it should the need arise.

I did phone Canon and ask them direct but the staff member I got was unable to grasp the concept that ebuyer is not ebay and no sensible answer was to be had :(

The price I got it for meant the risk was well worth taking.

Back