1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. kingo15

kingo15

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Yes the background needs a iron, yes the lights are in some of the eyes, I did attempt a clone on some but i need a bit more practice on that.

[​IMG]test 3 by Mark Kingston, on Flickr

[​IMG]test 2 by Mark Kingston, on Flickr

[​IMG]test 4 by Mark Kingston, on Flickr

Need to have a lot more practice and alot reading and watching videos

AHILL, arthurbikemad, sep9001 and 2 others like this.
  2. sep9001

sep9001

Name:
    Kev
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Love them all, nice expression on all.

kingo15 likes this.
  3. kingo15

kingo15

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    It was a good experience . The expressions were all his own ideas. He was full of beans to help me out for once haha

sep9001 likes this.
  4. Phil V

Phil V

Name:
    Phil
    Edit My Images:
    No
    As you’re aware of the fact they’re imperfect, and you want some help:

Firstly, you’ve nailed the most important thing in portraiture; engagement with the subject.

The background needs an iron, but better lighting and more separation and it wouldn’t matter.

The catchlights (and the shadows on the bg) are only a problem in that they’re showing what’s wrong with the lighting.

First principal of lighting- start with the key light and build.

You’ve started with: I’ve got 3 lights so I must use them. ;)

I’ll follow the first principal with: there’s only one Sun and it’s up in the sky.
    We’re used to the shadow patterns created from one light from above. All noobs set their lights too low, this can be done for creative effects, but like all things, it’s better to start by nailing the basics and learn when to break rules.
    Again noobs often think they want ‘shadowless’ lighting, which is rarely true, lighting is about controlling shadows, because shadows create form and no one wants to photograph a 3D object and make it look 2d.

sunnyside_up and DrGed like this.
  5. DrGed

DrGed

Name:
    Ged
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Your photos are a lot better that my first attempts with continuous lights and I totally agree with Phil's comment above about starting "simple" and building from there.

P.S. Would I be right in thinking that the boy can be a "bit of a character" at times?

6. cargo

cargo

Name:
    Gary
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Never used continuous lights only speedlights so not sure how difficult that is.
    As Phil said you captured great moments and that is the hard bit. I would never think to remove the catch light it looks odd to me.
    I do like these and if they were important to you i'm sure you could post work these to make them better.
    Obviously you want to get them better at the time of taking.

Gaz

7. viv1969

viv1969

Name:
    Bat-Frog
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I love that second shot.
    Such fun!

8. AHILL

AHILL

Edit My Images: