Beginner Another bad 1st attempt with continuous lights

As you’re aware of the fact they’re imperfect, and you want some help:

Firstly, you’ve nailed the most important thing in portraiture; engagement with the subject.

The background needs an iron, but better lighting and more separation and it wouldn’t matter.

The catchlights (and the shadows on the bg) are only a problem in that they’re showing what’s wrong with the lighting.

First principal of lighting- start with the key light and build.

You’ve started with: I’ve got 3 lights so I must use them. ;)

I’ll follow the first principal with: there’s only one Sun and it’s up in the sky.
We’re used to the shadow patterns created from one light from above. All noobs set their lights too low, this can be done for creative effects, but like all things, it’s better to start by nailing the basics and learn when to break rules.
Again noobs often think they want ‘shadowless’ lighting, which is rarely true, lighting is about controlling shadows, because shadows create form and no one wants to photograph a 3D object and make it look 2d.

Your photos are a lot better that my first attempts with continuous lights and I totally agree with Phil's comment above about starting "simple" and building from there.

P.S. Would I be right in thinking that the boy can be a "bit of a character" at times?

Never used continuous lights only speedlights so not sure how difficult that is.
As Phil said you captured great moments and that is the hard bit. I would never think to remove the catch light it looks odd to me.
I do like these and if they were important to you i'm sure you could post work these to make them better.
Obviously you want to get them better at the time of taking.

Gaz

I love that second shot.
Such fun!

Never used continuous lights only speedlights so not sure how difficult that is.
As Phil said you captured great moments and that is the hard bit. I would never think to remove the catch light it looks odd to me.
I do like these and if they were important to you i'm sure you could post work these to make them better.
Obviously you want to get them better at the time of taking.

Gaz

:agree:

Back