Another bird ID needed please (in flight & not a great photo - sorry)

Edit My Images
Yes
As i was driving round the countryside earlier I saw this bird in a harvested field. At first glance i thought it was a heron, same sort of size and stood up like a heron would, but no water nearby

THEN it took off and i was amazed as it wasn't a heron but something else :shrug: , i slammed on the brakes (don't worry it was safe to do so) grabbed my camera and snapped it as it flew off - hence the awful photo

So, heron sized, but looked like a bird of prey when it took off, multicoloured brown and VERY long wings
Definitely not a goose or similar
Any idea's ??

2853384573_b660c4a1a0.jpg

I'd agree possible a Gt Black Backed

but I still think the wing shape is gull.:shrug:
That was my first thought too Charlie (y) don't bitterns fly with their heads tucked back a little like a heron? the head and beak just look classic "gull" to me ( I could be wrong of course :D)

If we were living in Victorian time we could have shot it so we could identify it!

We do not get many Bittern up here but I still think the wing shape is gull.:shrug:

That was my first thought too Charlie (y) don't bitterns fly with their heads tucked back a little like a heron? the head and beak just look classic "gull" to me ( I could be wrong of course :D)

Look guys....I'm a married man. I only come on here so that I can be right sometimes....don't spoil it.

It's a Bittern....please :crying:

Bob

Edit...Natalie....gives as clue where it was....I'll go looking for it tomorrow. (anything to get out of the house)

Last edited:
I've been looking at some photos of bitterns in flight and like Charlie says.. as they are related to the heron, they fly with their neck pulled up which leaves a big lump in the throat area which this doesnt look like it has.

Also their feet hang behind like a heron which I cant see either... so Im going with the large gull, Black Backed or something similar.

If we were living in Victorian time we could have shot it so we could identify it!
Still some are still on the general licence Charlie fire away :D
Gull, Great Black-backed
Gull, Lesser Black-backed
Gull, Herring

Look guys....I'm a married man. I only come on here so that I can be right sometimes....don't spoil it.

It's a Bittern....please :crying:
:LOL: sorry Bob its a Bittern type gull type thingy (y)

I've been looking at some photos of bitterns in flight and like Charlie says.. .

Ahem................:D

It is not a Bittern, I see them regular up here..........IMO.

He he thanks guya
Ive never seen a gull that looked like this .... it was brown shades on top and really looked bird of Prey-ish (which is what i was looking for on my drive round )
It looked a little like that bittern actually but can see what you mean about the neck

Ive got another pic - doubt this is much better though :shrug:
2854911297_6a221f0649.jpg

CannonBob i saw it just off the A5 (opposite the turning for crick)

Last edited:
He he thanks guya
Ive never seen a gull that looked like this .... it was brown shades on top and really looked bird of Prey-ish (which is what i was looking for on my drive round )
It looked a little like that bittern actually but can see what you mean about the neck

Ive got another pic - doubt this is much better though :shrug:
2854911297_6a221f0649.jpg

CannonBob i saw it just off the A5 (opposite the turning for crick)

Immature gulls have lots of brown on them.

it has a white rump so not a bittern seems to have a large bill and does look gull like. for me GBB gull.

Back