Critique Another discovery on the way to work

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
I sometimes take the scenic route to and from work when there is traffic on the M25.
Last year, whilst taking the scenic route I noticed a Sunflower field, a whole farmers field, full of Sunflowers.
I caught it a little late in the season but let me know what you think.

Sunflower
by J40ADF on Talk Photography

My eyes are struggling to pick up the detail a little as its heavily back lit. However I love the head of teh prominent sun flower. Because of the different levels of light coming through the petals, it almost looks as if the head of the flower is spinning.

The sky is completely blown out unfortunately. It would probably work better if you exposed for the sky in those conditions and then used some fill-flash to illuminate the flower. Not sure what the conditions were on the day though - a blue sky would work well, but a hazy overcast one less so. It's a nice location to have in the 'bank' though as now you know it's there you can go back and get more shots.

The sky is completely blown out unfortunately. It would probably work better if you exposed for the sky in those conditions and then used some fill-flash to illuminate the flower. Not sure what the conditions were on the day though - a blue sky would work well, but a hazy overcast one less so. It's a nice location to have in the 'bank' though as now you know it's there you can go back and get more shots.

Thanks for the feed back.
It was a bright sunny day and the sun was low in the sky, late afternoon iirc. I was shooting straight into it to get this effect but I get that some detail in the sky would make a better image.
I just hope now that the farmer plants sunflowers again so I can give it another go later in the year.
Thinking about the time of day, a morning shot might work better as the sun would be behind me making exposure easier.

Back