Another e.bay chancer

Name
Jeff
Edit My Images
No
As Most will know Royal Mail no longer get a signature for goods , sold a item last week posted same day 1st class tracked got down to London and signed for as delivered by Royal Mail .. come yesterday got a message item not delivered want a refund .. luckily I had tracking info included on the item details .. got on to e.bay they followed it up .got a message back a hour later the buyer now admits he had it ..
if I had just refunded him I would have been out of pocket .. make sure anything you sell is either signed for or tracked I feel this was a definite attempt at fraud so be carefull

I had a courier delivery a couple of days ago, the driver deposited the goods at my front door & took a photo of it sat there (with his phone) before leaving.........seemed like a good idea to me.

I'm involved with a small charity that sells goods on Ebay to raise funds, and we get a few dishonest people.
One bought something, claimed it didn't arrive so we sent another. He then claimed that the second one didn't arrive and claimed a refund. They were both delivered by Hermes, who told us that both had been signed for (although with a different name given to them) so we disputed the claim with Ebay, but they refunded him anyway.

Then we did a bit more digging, found his fakebook page and saw a photo of both items on there, he was boasting that he'd managed to get them free. Faced with a screenshot of this, Ebay eventually gave up and we got back the cost of one of them.

I had a courier delivery a couple of days ago, the driver deposited the goods at my front door & took a photo of it sat there (with his phone) before leaving.........seemed like a good idea to me.

My neice had a delivery by a courier earlier this week, he too took a photograph of her parcel at the doorstep including a pair of feet from inside the house, sounds great until you realise it's neither my neice's doorstep and clearly a pair of man's feet (she lives alone in a flat). The 'recipient' has denied the delivery had taken place, old bill informed.

There's nothing to stop him picking it up again afterwards though. :(

I'm involved with a small charity that sells goods on Ebay to raise funds, and we get a few dishonest people.
One bought something, claimed it didn't arrive so we sent another. He then claimed that the second one didn't arrive and claimed a refund. They were both delivered by Hermes, who told us that both had been signed for (although with a different name given to them) so we disputed the claim with Ebay, but they refunded him anyway.

Then we did a bit more digging, found his fakebook page and saw a photo of both items on there, he was boasting that he'd managed to get them free. Faced with a screenshot of this, Ebay eventually gave up and we got back the cost of one of them.

To try and rip me/you off is one thing but to try and rip a charity off? And to boast about it on social media? I hope there's a special corner in Hell for people like this.

DPD do that it is very good.

he was boasting that he'd managed to get them free.
If he had brains he'd be dangerous!
What type of person tries to rip off a charity?
Its a shame you didn't get it all back after he tried that one!

DPD do that it is very good.
Except the other day, the DPD driver took a picture of my door knocker, and didn't use it, I was in at the time of the "failed delivery"

Besides had he taken a slightly wider shot, the " If no answer, Please leave in garage" note on the door would have been in plain sight :rolleyes:

Parcel force just attempted delivery here and left a card.

Except I was in the front garden with their tracking app open which said the driver was over a mile away. No one can come to this house without me clearly seeing it, and the cctv cameras see it too.. Not to mention the dogs go crazy when someone opens the gate.
Oh and there is no card suprise supirse.

Most couriers are scam artists these days sadly. If they can lie about attempting delivery, what else do they lie about.

Ive also just had a nespresso machine go missing from Dpd. One day it was at the hub, the next, they have no idea.
I guess one of their staff fancied a drink.

Except I was in the front garden with their tracking app open which said the driver was over a mile away. No one can come to this house without me clearly seeing it, and the cctv cameras see it too.. Not to mention the dogs go crazy when someone opens the gate.
Oh and there is no card suprise supirse.
I had exactly the same thing with DPD recently, except he was "just down the road" 2 mins away.
Luckily the web updates were wrong, ( somehow) and he appeared 15 mins later.

Personally I think my Hermes are the worlds worst , they have lost ,misplaced two delivery’s for me since lockdown . I won’t send via them or now buy from anyone that uses them

Unless they picked it up immediately afterwards and drove off with it! :whistle:

Edit, I see others have already suggested the same... that'll teach me to read to the bottom of the thread before posting!

Last edited:

Did you not report the matter to the police, with a request for an investigation for suspected fraud? I would have done, and I'd have asked for a crime number on reporting it to them too, and followed it up with a request for details on progress a week or so later.

Last edited:
Did you not report the matter to the police, with a request for an investigation for suspected fraud? I would have done, and I'd have asked for a crime number on reporting it to them too, and followed it up with a request for details on progress a week or so later.
I'm afraid not, we've reported several far more serious crimes in the past with no result, and life's too short to keep doing it.

I'm afraid not, we've reported several far more serious crimes in the past with no result, and life's too short to keep doing it.
I know what you mean, but I find it so annoying when thieves get away with conning honest people, wasting their time and causing them stress.

I know what you mean, but I find it so annoying when thieves get away with conning honest people, wasting their time and causing them stress.
I agree, but the thieves (who seem to be just as happy to steal from a charity as from anyone else) are just part of the problem when selling online.
Most buyers are perfectly OK, but there are a lot of timewasters out there, and it's pretty normal for people to "buy" something and then we never hear from them again, which means that we can't actually sell the item to a genuine buyer until we've realised that they aren't going to pay, have asked Ebay for our fees back and re-listed the item. And many seem to think that agreeing to buy something is just the starting point in their negotiation process, they have no intention of paying the agreed price. The worst in recent memory was a second hand trailer that we "sold" 9 times before a genuine person bought and paid for it.

The police wouldn’t be remotely interested, sad to say. At best you might get a crime number out of them to claim on insurance. On another forum I inhabit, a few years back there was a rock solid case against a scam artist (who’d also operated on here and various other forums). The police and CPS never pursued it, despite a file full of damning evidence that this guy was a serial fraudster who’d been pulling these stunts for years.

The police wouldn’t be remotely interested, sad to say. At best you might get a crime number out of them to claim on insurance. On another forum I inhabit, a few years back there was a rock solid case against a scam artist (who’d also operated on here and various other forums). The police and CPS never pursued it, despite a file full of damning evidence that this guy was a serial fraudster who’d been pulling these stunts for years.
Sadly, I've had bad experiences myself when I was in business.
In one case that I remember, we received a large order for portable flash gear from a new customer. For some reason it just didn't look right, so I did a bit of digging. I found that the credit card used was Canadian (and it turned out to be stolen). I managed to get the telephone number for the delivery address, which turned out to be a private house belonging to an elderly and very trusting gentleman who knew nothing about it. After a lot of prompting he remembered that a delightful young lady had asked him to accept a delivery for her and she would collect it from him at 3 p.m. the following day.

I then phoned his local police. The officer told me that there was nothing that they could do because the crime may have been organised in another force area and perhaps even in another country, so I needed to find out where it had started and contact the police there. When I pointed out that all he needed to do was to arrest the young lady when she called to collect the stolen goods his response was that I didn't understand how things work. He "helpfully" told me that the police have a special cyber crimes unit that dealt with these things and that they would contact me - which they did, several weeks later:(

I think I'd have gone to the papers about that. I'm sure one of them would have run with the story. At times it seems that unless a fuss gets kicked up then nothing gets done, and I'm sure it's just as frustrating for the police if they're hamstrung by procedure (or possibly a misinterpretation of it) too.

Back