Another effort

Name
Kris
Edit My Images
No
Had another couple of mini sessions last week in the hope that we get something without her go-to grin that is difficult to get beyond at times. Also need to work on her photography wardrobe, need to buy her some props! Anyway, two slightly different looks, see what's preferred here.

50848022503_e1b57b4351_k.jpg

50845630161_5f918ad708_k.jpg

Last edited:
I think the second is spoilt by the summer dress for this kind of pose so squaring it does remove a little more.

To me the dress isn't the issue, so much as this shot is all about the head and neck, and everything else is superfluous. FWIW there seems to be a strange black line down the RHS - I didn't notice at first viewing.

To me the dress isn't the issue, so much as this shot is all about the head and neck, and everything else is superfluous. FWIW there seems to be a strange black line down the RHS - I didn't notice at first viewing.

Thanks Toni. That’s odd, I see it too now.

Thanks for all stopping by to comment. The first, for me, is a bit of a run-of-the-mill shot really and so I too do prefer the second. It's been very challenging getting a straight look.

First is lovely and cute, second is simply stunning :)

That said, if the second was mine I'd crop it square so there's less dress below the bows forcing more attention to her face/eyes especially, but that's a personal choice, LOVE it either way :)

Dave

Last edited:
First is lovely and cute, second is simply stunning :)

That said, if the second was mine I'd crop it square so there's less dress below the bows forcing more attention to her face/eyes especially, but that's a personal choice, LOVE it either way :)

Dave

Thanks Dave for your comments. I tend to struggle with a square crop but can see that would work. I’ll give it a try, might even print it too, didn't print much last year at all so need to get a few done,

Last edited:
Oh boy, that one is definitely a 'Heart-breaker' in the making!
Shot 2 for me, as it displays a little regal elegance, whereas shot 1 is a more relaxed element.
Without doubt, both are keepers.
I'd be delighted to have either image in my portfolio.

Two "Excellent" portrait style shots, liking both of these very much.

Try a square crop. I'm not the biggest fan but understand the emphasis on the eyes. It's a little more tidied up too.

50860768102_81fa9bf2f4_k.jpg

Last edited:
I’ve never suffered before but my phone colours are quite flat compared to my calibrated screens. I’ve just calibrated to be sure.

Last edited:
have a look at the work of Lisa Visser whose tones are far more muted https://instagram.com/lisavisserphotography?igshid=1smohr3988jzj

I’ve always loved Lisa’s work Mike, I’d love to be able to emulate something similar. She’s the original children’s fine art photographer for me.

I have had the thought that one day, when I think my daughter is the optimum age, I may treat us to a session with Lisa.

PS. I started out with a desaturated, muted mindset but inevitably I end up with colour which is my default. I need to learn to see that way I think.

Last edited:
I think both shots are lovely, and as mentioned above Lisa Visser does some beautifully classy children's portraits.

I'd have been tempted with a B&W conversion on the second, I'm undecided on the dress! At the end of the day she's a charming young lady and you've managed to capture her brilliantly.

It's well worth studying some top children's portrait photographers for ideas on lighting, styling etc and picking the bits you want to plan your next images images but what a great start!

I remember doing some similar with my boys and having limited wardrobe options, so we worked with what we had!

I think both shots are lovely, and as mentioned above Lisa Visser does some beautifully classy children's portraits.

I'd have been tempted with a B&W conversion on the second, I'm undecided on the dress! At the end of the day she's a charming young lady and you've managed to capture her brilliantly.

It's well worth studying some top children's portrait photographers for ideas on lighting, styling etc and picking the bits you want to plan your next images images but what a great start!

I remember doing some similar with my boys and having limited wardrobe options, so we worked with what we had!

That’s my fall-down really. She’s still not quite old enough for the straight, smile-less pose but I need a photo wardrobe and a few more props. The dress doesn’t help for that typical fine art ‘look’. I’m comfortable with the lighting patterns needed but the choice of wardrobe is a big factor to the overall feel. I don’t think there’s enough tonal range throughout for a convincing mono for this one but might have a look at if.

The more I look at this shot the less it hits the mark I’m after. I’ll plan for another go, thanks for your comments.

Last edited:
Back