Another "I've decided to try out film" thread

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
Yes, it's going to happen and probably in the next week or so.

I don't currently have a backup body for doing paid gigs, and it's a good idea that I have one in case my DSLR goes mammaries up. Now it would make sense to go for an EOS 3 or 5 so that I can use my current EF lenses on it. However, to be honest, it's the look of the old-style 70's cameras that peaked my interest in film. Feeble, I know, but I'm not really interested in getting a film camera that looks like my 40D :shrug:

So that opens up some options, and I don't really care what manufacturer I end up going for... the only restrictions I've set for myself is that it must be from the 70's and I'm not paying more than £55 for it! Kinda low price, but I'm on a strict budget... For this price I've seen on eBay (usually going with a 28mm or 50mm lens) the following:

Canon AE-1, A-1 and AE-1 Program ... and
Nikon FE and FM

I've done some research on these and it seems that the FM is probably the better one...

So, what's your opinion? £55 and 70's Maybe something Pentax?

EOS 500n are cheap as chips, and because they were a consumer camera aimed at family use they don't get a lot of hammering either - £40 or less for a body and you can use all your lenses on them.

www.mifsuds.co.uk have a selection of used Canon film slrs - will give you an idea of the price pecking order

Or try Olympus, their 35mm film cameras were fab!

EOS 500n are cheap as chips, and because they were a consumer camera aimed at family use they don't get a lot of hammering either - £40 or less for a body and you can use all your lenses on them.

www.mifsuds.co.uk have a selection of used Canon film slrs - will give you an idea of the price pecking order

Reason got the better of me and I went for one of these. Just won a 500N body that looks in mint condition for, including postage, £16 :woot:

£16 (y)

the very reason i never bothered selling mine

I bet its done less than 2000 shutter actuations so should be a reliable bit of kit for some time - just change the battery and make sure any old ones haven't leaked !

Reason got the better of me and I went for one of these. Just won a 500N body that looks in mint condition for, including postage, £16 :woot:

Woopee.............I look forward to seeing some classy shots from you, Mike! (y)

You're not old enough to have had film cameras in the 70's are you? ;)

I can imagine you with an Olympus OM10 when you were 3! :D

ah yes matt but the black ones do tend to brass up a bit ,,,so to save you from heatache seeing the paint come off just send it to ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,( could never understand why the extra bit of black paint cost an extra tenner )

Yes, it's going to happen and probably in the next week or so.

I don't currently have a backup body for doing paid gigs, and it's a good idea that I have one in case my DSLR goes mammaries up. Now it would make sense to go for an EOS 3 or 5 so that I can use my current EF lenses on it. However, to be honest, it's the look of the old-style 70's cameras that peaked my interest in film. Feeble, I know, but I'm not really interested in getting a film camera that looks like my 40D :shrug:

So that opens up some options, and I don't really care what manufacturer I end up going for... the only restrictions I've set for myself is that it must be from the 70's and I'm not paying more than £55 for it! Kinda low price, but I'm on a strict budget... For this price I've seen on eBay (usually going with a 28mm or 50mm lens) the following:

Canon AE-1, A-1 and AE-1 Program ... and
Nikon FE and FM

I've done some research on these and it seems that the FM is probably the better one...

So, what's your opinion? £55 and 70's Maybe something Pentax?

Got a Pentax P-50, a borrowed Pentax Super Program and an AE-1. AE-1 is best, P-50 is very good for day to day use, super program is not quite as good as the AE-1 but for its sins in much much lighter, has a better motor drive and a more than reasonable range of lenses. I don't think I could choose between the two.

Woopee.............I look forward to seeing some classy shots from you, Mike! (y)

You're not old enough to have had film cameras in the 70's are you? ;)

I can imagine you with an Olympus OM10 when you were 3! :D

I was barely born in the 70's let alone starting photography in that decade!

Once I develop my first role of film I'll be sure to post the pics up - can't wait! (y)

ive had a great time with my a1 :) very easy to use the inbuilt metering works pretty well for a camera older than me :)

Woohoo, it arrived! It looks lovely and my lenses fit!

2689992770_8c2ccfa71f_o.jpg

Hmmm - first thing I noticed when attaching my Tokina 12-24... compared to my 40D the 12mm seems MUCH wider.... :shrug: :naughty:

it will be as its not cropped as film is like having a full frame :) I have that kodak color plus £1 from poundworld bargin! getting some processed today I hope it turns out well so I can go put them out of stock

Hey ekimeno ; having persuaded you towards a cheap 500n, and having shot a mere 18 pics on my old 500n since, today i've gone and bought a EOS 30 with battery grip for £53.

Not mint by any means but having read a bit more on this forum i fancied trying the eye control viewfinder (i might be in the 'hate it' camp next week !) and the extra AF points should be more useful.

Damn this forum - cost me money :(

Good luck with your new camera. One thing I don't like about the 500n is the viewfinder - seems a bit blurry and only has 3 AF points... :( It's nowhere near as nice as my 40D's viewfinder.

Yeah the 3 AF points is a bit measly - i was hoping to get an EOS3, but even ebay ones are fetching £100, which when i'm just dabbling with film again seemed a bit too much. The EOS5 was another option, with 7 AF points in a cross format, but i wanted to try the eye control viewfinder so settled on the EOS30.

Either way, we aren't exactly losing much money if we bin them !

Wow - that was before Led Zeppelin was formed.. the Yarbirds even. I am truly humbled :)

it will be as its not cropped as film is like having a full frame :)

35mm film is the definition of fullframe, that is what digital sensors are measured against.
Unfortunately what you gain in w i d e, you lose in telephoto

I played with an EOS 3 with my 24-70L, WOW! :D

The view finder might be blurry because you can't focus them like you can on the 40D. That's a problem for me as I am very shorts-sighted and had to view though with my glasses and so I couldn't really see through the viewfinder properly. But you can get screens or something to adjust it.

Back