Beginner Another Macro attempt...

Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
Technically I'm quite pleased with this one but the image quality is not great. I need to invest in some sort of flash solution to keep the iso down.

I would also like to get a bit closer (magnification-wise) and am wondering about a longer focal length? My idea was to buy a 45-200 which gives a minimum focal distance of 1m (would i be right in thinking the tube would reduce the min. focus distance?), then adding an extension tube along with the Raynox DCR250

I think the image quality is fine.

The 45-200 is quite a heavy lens in relation to the G3, and when used with a close-up lens on it it can creep when used pointing downwards. I find the 45-175 a brilliant lens for use with close-up lenses. Apart from being small and light, it does not extend when zooming, and this is a huge advantage with close-up lenses, especially the more powerful ones. It doesn't creep either.

I have a 45-175 permanently attached to my G80, which I use for natural light botanical subjects. I don't use it for most invertebrates because I use an FZ330 for them, but I have used the G3 and G5 in the past for invertebrates using the Raynox 150 and 250, and those combinations worked fine.

I don't often photograph very small subjects but when I have I found the G5 and previously G3 with 45-175 and very powerful close-up lenses (Raynox 202 and 505, or stacked 150+250 or 250+250) the best of my tools for the job. With these more powerful close-up lenses the non-extending 45-175 was hugely more usable than the 45-200 (the advantage has to do with locating the subject - which is difficult at high magnifications - and changing the magnification to adjust the framing). If/when I do any very small subjects in future I may well use the G80 with 45-175 and the powerful close-up lenses.

As to flash, you might want to have a look at the Show us your macro rig thread to get some ideas.

Back