Another macro safari set from summer

Another cracking set Alf (y)
I love the Scorpion fly, I've never seen one in the flesh as it were.

Another impressive set, Alf. #5 is a Scorpion Fly, which your Flikr page also says.

Thanks John

Another cracking set Alf (y)
I love the Scorpion fly, I've never seen one in the flesh as it were.

Thanks Chris
Scorpion flies are quite common in bramble patches they are large and easy to spot but tend to scarper fast

Scorpion flies are quite common in bramble patches they are large and easy to spot but tend to scarper fast
Cheers Alf, I'll have to take a closer look. (y)

Thanks John

Thanks Chris
I think they are a bit regional. I have never seen them near me (South East London/Kent) but I have seen them in other places.
A bit like Stag Beetles - I have only ever seen them near me but never anywhere else.

Alf

Great shots particularly the weevils mating

I think they are a bit regional. I have never seen them near me (South East London/Kent) but I have seen them in other places.
A bit like Stag Beetles - I have only ever seen them near me but never anywhere else.

Alf

Great shots particularly the weevils mating

Thanks David
I think we have had this conversation before about locality

Thanks David
I think we have had this conversation before about locality
Yes sorry for repeating it, on a general thing it would be interesting if it were possible to map insects shots based on location and see what are the most common species in different places in the UK.
I once posted a photo of a Platyarthrus hoffmannseggii and people were amazed - but I often see these in ant colonies (I didn't photograph them this year - I must remember to next year, you have to photograph them at the beginning of the year - or the ants are too active and swarm over you).

EF7A7631Antwoodlouse by davholla2002, on Flickr

Yes sorry for repeating it, on a general thing it would be interesting if it were possible to map insects shots based on location and see what are the most common species in different places in the UK.
I once posted a photo of a Platyarthrus hoffmannseggii and people were amazed - but I often see these in ant colonies (I didn't photograph them this year - I must remember to next year, you have to photograph them at the beginning of the year - or the ants are too active and swarm over you).

EF7A7631Antwoodlouse by davholla2002, on Flickr

Possibly the most unusual thing I think I have shot is a millipede

Polyxenus lagurus by Alf Branch, on Flickr

That is unusual - we should start a thread with what is the most unusual thing you have photographed. I saw on Flickr few people have photographed.

Its far from my best shot but I did not have a flash with me and it was not the best macro lens I have had.

I like the idea of an unusual thing thread but define unusual,

Its far from my best shot but I did not have a flash with me and it was not the best macro lens I have had.

I like the idea of an unusual thing thread but define unusual,
Something that very few people have seen. It might not be the best shot ever - but it could be (like your Millipede photo) be one of the best shots that anyone has ever taken of that subject

Something that very few people have seen. It might not be the best shot ever - but it could be (like your Millipede photo) be one of the best shots that anyone has ever taken of that subject

My millipede is far from the best shot of around but I was struggling in poor light but I have improved since I took that and I had no idea what it was but I did want to know

Good set Alf. I particularly like the Weevils, the Longhorn beetle and the Scorpion fly. Interesting discussion and unusual examples from you and David too.

Thanks Nick

Back