Another of my Daughter

1W by mrcrow_uk, on Flickr

1WB copy by mrcrow_uk, on Flickr

first things i see which can be easily eliminated...a far spotlight and a mirror...stuff on the table etc
a slight crop at the top may help but you will need to clone to do the rest
1 is pinky toned so that 2 is a better result
the expression and pose is great with eyes on the lens...good communications
dress and other items are really well chosen
cheers
geof

Last edited:
I like the first much better than the sepia one. Not keen on the 2 edits though!

I like the first two, pretty little girl :)

I also dont like the edits :(

I like the first much better than the sepia one. Not keen on the 2 edits though!

Agreed.

It looks like on-camera flash, which is making the bairn look a little flat, taking it off the camera would help no end. Not keen on the sepia at all.

The edits look odd IMO.

Colour version: Sharp, detailed, good separation of the subject from the background. A nice pose and yet with a small sense of suspense because she's not quite looking out at the viewer but very slightly down and to her right (at somewhere around the photographer's left shoulder).

Sepia version: This one doesn't work for me. She looks like a cutout very nicely cropped and pasted into the background. Maybe that's down to the flash, maybe not: that's not my area of expertise.

It looks like on-camera flash

The position of the catchlight in the eye would seem to confirm that.

Thanks for the feedback, useful indeed :)
What does this mean please?
Dress & accessories are down to the wife I'm afraid :D
i thought the pink accessory was putting a cast on the skin tones...too pink
maybe not though..i just felt the skin tone should be more neutral and lighter

Lovely shot but skintones did look a bit off. Tried colour correcting.

5833807864_0047f52623_z.jpg

Just try pressing auto in levels - unusually, in this particular instance it works - then pull the right hand levels sliders in each of R,G & B back a bit to ease the contrast a bit. It looks lovely.

Cheers everyone, I'm on my phone now and the original does look a bit 'rosy' in terms of skin tone. Using s laptop, guess it could do with some calibration.

Thanks for all the advice, all will help me improve :)

The highlights have blown out quite badly on the edit making it look too contrasty.

It's a lovely shot, but making it so contrasty spoils it I'm afraid.

If you're not sure about the blown highlights, hover your cursor in Photoshop over the right side of her face and the right side of her cardigan. Whilst doing this look at the info box at the R,G and B values. Also the middle of her nose is almost blown out.

Pure white will give 255 for each of the three colours. You will see that quite large areas give values that are quite close to these values, whereas they should show way less.

I wonder if some of you are looking at it without properly (hardware) calibrated monitors?

I wonder if some of you are looking at it without properly (hardware) calibrated monitors?

Of course.............................................

.....not ;) lol

Nice but too pink as has already mentioned

Didn't work. The convert to black n white on the component rgb perhaps needed playing with? before the sepia, and its a bit light (my opinion)

The Two edits were ok. The sepia is more strong, which I would have expected. Well done mr toad... Teh cropping rather than cloning is good.

The Final edit with cloning etc... very nicely done... works really well!

This is what I mean (just to show what the highlights should look like - I haven't done any cloning)...

5852695438_13900fd03a_z.jpg

Last edited:
It's a trade off I guess, some parts of the one with some blown highlights look a lot better and some of the other do, need to find a balance. I like them both of course.

:)

Which parts? There's no trade off here - apart from the badly blown highlights that make her face all blotchy, there's very little difference, even though you had the original file to work with.

The others you posted are lovely.

(By the way I've been doing this professionally for 24 years - just thought I could help.)

Last edited:
Which parts? There's no trade off here - apart from the badly blown highlights that make her face all blotchy, there's very little difference, even though you had the original file to work with.

The others you posted are lovely.

(By the way I've been doing this professionally for 24 years - just thought I could help.)

The help is much appreciated from everyone and your eye is no doubt more finely tuned that mine, I've had my DSLR only about 3 years and have used it casually until fairly recently!

It's odd, but although not technically perfect, I kind of like the 2nd edit I did, and the comments of others seem to back this up too. I validates the fact that photography and indeed any kind of art in itself is very subjective and what one likes another can find fault with and vice-versa. I'm lucky that I have a willing model in my daughter to held me improve and please, don't think that I don't take your comments on board and will use them to help me improve.

:)

Hi Brian,

I am no expert but, for what is worth, here is my two two pennies worth:

You have taken some fabulous photographs of a your lovely daughter with what is considered to be "just an entry-level camera". It proves that it is about the photographer and not the camera!

It is always good to seek advice from those who have been in the business for some years, such as John, and it is always grealy appreciated in order to improve our skills with the help of the experience of others.

As you rightly say, photography is very subjective so ultimately, if you like them, that is all that matters!

The second set is great!

Regards.
Simon

Thanks Simon, the 2nd set all with the 50.mm 1.8 which seems to have reignited a spark for me in terms of actually taking pictures (the 1st picture was with the 18-55 kit lens...)

Thanks for your comments :)

Last edited:
Back