Another Oulton Park Gold Cup thread

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
Another Gold Cup meeting at Oulton Park and I was pleased to see some new cars - well, not "new" as such, but cars I haven't seen before. So many times I take photos and then find that they're almost the same shots as I took here last year.

webIMGP9523 by Mike Edwards, on Flickr

webIMGP9854 by Mike Edwards, on Flickr

webIMGP9804 by Mike Edwards, on Flickr

webIMGP0117 by Mike Edwards, on Flickr

webIMGP0085 by Mike Edwards, on Flickr

I was quite pleased with the image quality on some of them, until I saw some in another thread. An excuse to practice a bit more, then. As always, comments welcome.

They're very nice sharp shots, that last one is very good and I'm not sure how you got such a blurred background at 1/400, I'm shooting at 1/100 to get that effect. ETA, unless it's depth of field rather than motion.

Not sure I should post mine now.....

The thing with 1/100th is that you have to get your panning done to a tee otherwise it's easy to slightly judder and at those shutter speeds you don't have much margin for error.
There's no hard and first rule for shutter speeds but I generally use around 1/200th then slightly increase or decrease depending on the image looks, also depends on speed of subject.

I don't know which part of the circuit they go up to on the gold cup but Oulton Park is one of the best circuits I've been to for photograph. So many corners that you can shoot so it's well worth walking round as there's lots of angles to be had, well worth having a look back through previous posts on here to give you can idea.

There's mine from a few years ago when I went there to give you an idea.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/maximumrevsphotography/albums/72157646419453702

I was quite happy with them until I saw Fraser's thread. But I don't live far away, so will try again next time - I do keep meaning to go along in the week to practice at track days, but never seem to get the chance.

Thanks for the link to your album, I'll have a look at those.

TBH Mike, they look great! I have been going to Oulton Park for 30 years and photographing cars there; I run a nearby Motorsport business and photography is my hobby :)

Back