Another Owl with prey

Beautiful bird, excellent lighting and composition - I like the crop as it bring the focus to the 'meal' :).

Out of interest do you know are most owls tagged?

The crop works well for me, so much better than an "almost" in frame image. What really grabbed me are those talons, makes you remember that owls aren't cute but full on hunters.
Nice image I've enjoyed looking at it!

Excellent capture, sounds strange but sometimes a bird flying close can be difficult to get focus on ... you have done well and it's a good view of the bird doing what it does :)

Beautiful bird, excellent lighting and composition - I like the crop as it bring the focus to the 'meal' :).

Out of interest do you know are most owls tagged?
as far as I know most are if the British Trust for Ornithology know were they are ,it keeps a check on how well they are doing, often this depends on how well vole's etc are doing .

Rob.

as far as I know most are if the British Trust for Ornithology know were they are ,it keeps a check on how well they are doing, often this depends on how well vole's etc are doing .

Rob.

Thanks for the information. (y)

I've clicked the 'like' button and I do like it. As Gramps says, when they come that close, it can be hard to focus a long lens. My only question would be if there is a reason for the bird being as far to the right as it is. I find the crop to be slightly unbalanced and wonder if there is any reason to have any of the space at the back of the bird?

I've looked and looked. I love it. Can't actually think of anything that would improve it given the circumstances of the capture. Incredible study of a stealthy hunter.

I've clicked the 'like' button and I do like it. As Gramps says, when they come that close, it can be hard to focus a long lens. My only question would be if there is a reason for the bird being as far to the right as it is. I find the crop to be slightly unbalanced and wonder if there is any reason to have any of the space at the back of the bird?

I think its just personal taste I like to have just a bit more for the bird to fly into but not too much as this keeps the bird image larger ( for this type of shot ) and that is the main point of the shot to show detail .

Rob.

I like that because it is showing great detail, must admit I did think myself about moving the back left a bit but seen your other reply (y)

For some reason the Owl has a youngish looking face or is that just me being silly?

Technically it is very good Robert …. and the detail in the (white) Bird is excellent

with all BIF's they are so difficult to capture (in the first place) that composition is really a matter of part luck …. and consequently your composition opportunities are therefore limited

because I'm "picky" I would just try an image with the ring cloned out …… see if the difference it worth it ………...I know it's cheating, but what the H

I do not know the lens, being a Nikon shooter ……. but I have read the the Canon 600mm f4 is the best around and the 1DX is well, very good

do you shoot birds at f8 much?, if so I would be interested to hear your comments comparing f8 with f4 as DOF at both settings seems very similar, (to me) with most bird shots, but f8 has just that extra edge which is noticeable, (certainly on my Nikon 600mm)

The only way I think that I will satisfy my curiosity is to get my hangs on a 7Dii and a Canon 600mm f4 ………. I cannot get the fine detail that you have achieved with my D750 and Nikon 600mm f4

Last edited:
Back