Another play with HDR :)

Name
Bryan
Edit My Images
Yes
1234327_204147783095075_1956251751_n.jpg

As always look forward to the feedback :)

A good subject for HDR.

There is a quite a bit of haloing which detracts for me. May be a bit more room around the can for composition would be good too.

Sorry, overcooked from what I can see... that's what produces the ghosting. I always find with HDR that less is more...

I think this is an example of an image where HDR isn't actually warranted.

Last edited:
Hi Bryan,

It's nice to see you trying, but personally HDR is something I wouldn't touch because in my opinion you need to be very careful when using it. By this I mean the subject has to be specific etc for it to work.

Hope it helps :)
John.

Last edited:
I can't see any real reason to HDR this type of image. The scene does not have high dynamic range

Agreed.

Hello Bryan, just so it doesn't appear that we're all out to quash your efforts I'll explain why the subject doesn't work.

Think of HDR as a tonal compression which basically puts several different areas requiring different exposures on one image. The best results are those with heavy, worn textures as then you can expose the detail worked into the shadows which would normally be lost. This is the reason why you see a lot of urbex shots which have been processed in this way because it enhances the gritty nature of the subject. Generally, anything smooth and glossy won't have an impact because you can expose for it in one shot. What is going on here is you have correctly exposed the scene, then over exposed and laying the two together doesn't work - hence the haloing.

Now, if you had put your can outside on some sand, in front of a bit of a brick wall out of direct sunlight it would have worked better, as the detail and textures from the shadows of the sand and brick wall would be drawn out. At the same time it is very easy to once you have the right composition and scenario to oversaturate the result giving it the eye-burning nuclear look, which isn't cool.

Sorry if that sounds a bit bad, but you can get some truely great images with a bit of HDR processing but the subject needs to suit. Keep trying and I look forward to seeing the results :)

If this was created purely as a work of art, to create an interesting image, I like it. A nicely tweaked look at reality. If it was meant to be a photography of reality, it would indeed be overdone.

Back