Another Redstart image, one of many

Edit My Images
No
1yr Common female

14% crop of full FF image

Redstart_BP.jpg

Another goodun Bill sitting nice and relaxed with the perch really completing the image well done.
GEORGE.

Another beauty...I love the background too, really sets the bird off well.

nice like that

That's really nice Bill, can't fault it tbh (y)

As an aside, I always wondered how you got different percentages of crops? Are you just guesstimating, as 14% is very precise? Or does it show in info somewhere?

Thanks Guys

what I do Wez is to take the number of pixels in the crop (2565 x 1924 = 4935060) and divide it by the number of pixels in the FF image, (7360 x 4912 = 36152320) = 13,65%

Last edited:

As an aside, I always wondered how you got different percentages of crops? Are you just guesstimating, as 14% is very precise? Or does it show in info somewhere?

I wondered the same!

The reason I am looking at crop sizes Wez ...... is because of the MFD of a lens, the 600mm f4 in this case, if I want to take my "close shots" how small/big can I go to get the shot when you consider that a Blue Tit is only 5 inches long ....... if you see what I mean ....... obviously you cannot "fill the frame" of a 600mm with a 5 inch bird ....... and then what difference does it make when you add the TC's ........... and what is the best lens for such shots and all that crap

Then onto the sensor - obviously the D810 helps, especially now that when you get used to it processing methods are very good ......... and the new D820/D850 will have an even bigger sensor capturing more details ..... so I'm thinking about all that crap

with longer lens, they seem to have the same ratio, i.e. if you compare what you get with a 300mm, (because it has a shorter MFD) with what you get with a 600mm ..... both at their MFD's - you get the same ..... I am not sure if these new design lens are reducing the MFD versus the old equivalent model

Last edited:
Back