A fly feeding on hogweed

Fly feeding on hogweed by Alf Branch, on Flickr

this fly may be Exorista larvarum due to having hair on the eyes

A fly by Alf Branch, on Flickr

No idea what type of moth this is and its a not a great shot

A moth by Alf Branch, on Flickr

This is a hoverfly on an ivy flower I think it is Episyrphus balteatus

Hover fly by Alf Branch, on Flickr

A couple of soldier beetles, there was a lot of this about.

Soldier beetles by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Great shots, I would like to know what those orange flies are as they might be common in other parts of the UK, but I have never ever seen them in London (it is sadly a very long time since I went to the lake district).
Moth flies are really tricky well done (I normally see the white ones although I have not photographed them yet).

Loving the hopper (blue!) and the moth fly. How you managed to get the hopper to stay still for long enough is beyond me, the ones in my garden are all super nervous.

Loads of those orange flies up here near selby.

Last edited:
That's a super set Alf.

I find those orange flies tricky because they are rather reflective, as well as their being quite small. That one came out very well.

I love #2 and #3. The subjects are both well rendered, but what really makes those images for me is the surroundings. Both show the subjects in very specific, and very good looking environments.

Super DoF coverage and very well rendered subjects in the last two in the first post.

Magnificent leafhopper in the second post. I love the colours. (Is this one slightly dark/dull? Is there a gap at the top of the histogram - I don't know, I haven't looked.)

I am envious of the moth fly. I find those really difficult, and I've never got one to come out as well as that. Very well done with that one Alf. (Is it a big crop?)

Great shots, I would like to know what those orange flies are as they might be common in other parts of the UK, but I have never ever seen them in London (it is sadly a very long time since I went to the lake district).
Moth flies are really tricky well done (I normally see the white ones although I have not photographed them yet).

Thanks David
The orange fly is maybe a localised habitat thing. The Moth fly just looked white when I saw it.

Loving the hopper (blue!) and the moth fly. How you managed to get the hopper to stay still for long enough is beyond me, the ones in my garden are all super nervous.

Loads of those orange flies up here near selby.

Thanks
The hoppers are never easy to shoot though sometimes you get them staying still hoping you havent seen them I think

Think the 1st is the best of your shots here Alf. The hopper is a cool find tho.

Thanks Chris
Thare are lot of those hoppers about

That's a super set Alf.

I find those orange flies tricky because they are rather reflective, as well as their being quite small. That one came out very well.

I love #2 and #3. The subjects are both well rendered, but what really makes those images for me is the surroundings. Both show the subjects in very specific, and very good looking environments.

Super DoF coverage and very well rendered subjects in the last two in the first post.

Magnificent leafhopper in the second post. I love the colours. (Is this one slightly dark/dull? Is there a gap at the top of the histogram - I don't know, I haven't looked.)

I am envious of the moth fly. I find those really difficult, and I've never got one to come out as well as that. Very well done with that one Alf. (Is it a big crop?)

Thanks Nick
The orange fly was not easy as that grass stem was waving about I think this is a one handed shot while holding the grass stem
The Moth fly is a fair crop as I was only using the Sigma 105 not tubes though I had the Raynox in my pocket
The leafhopper histogram could be shifted further righ I suppose

Back